Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Modkid's A-line gored skirt & Mondrian shirt

Love this pattern! This is one of the outfits in the "Sewing Modkid Style" book.  This is also my first project hemmed with my new Janome Coverpro.  I cannot believe how quick this little outfit sewed up.  I followed Patty's instructions completely, and everything went together flawlessly...except for the fact that I made the skirt one size too big--yikes.  My daughter was at school and I thought the size 8/9 would fit her best, which I based solely on her height since she was not home for me to measure her hips; I was wrong.  I was also impatient, obviously, and wanted to make it then and there.  So, I took apart the waistband at the side seams and took the skirt and the waistband in another 1/2" on both sides.  You probably can't tell from the pic, but the side gores are a little narrower.  I really didn't want to take the whole skirt apart and figured most people won't know by looking at it.  I just wanted to share this because I think it's good to know that no matter how well we sew, we all make mistakes from time to time.  It gives us experience at altering, right?  ;)  

I wish I could have added a light solid blue color to the right middle block piece, but this was all the matching fabric I had on hand.  Oh how I would love to just have bolts of all of Patty's fabrics in my sewing room. 

I really need to take the time and measure my children and WRITE IT DOWN.  Instead, I measure them every time I make something.  I learned my lesson and that will not happen again...at least I hope not.

In summary, this outfit is SIMPLE, SIMPLE, SIMPLE to make.  How can something this cute be so easy?? :)

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I also saw the swim suits you made from the book... LOVE it, both are so pretty (and so are the girls). Glad I found your blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm really enjoying the wonderful pattern books and fabrics that are available now.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!