Thursday, May 3, 2012

Repurposed dress

Here is a dress that was an adult small that I altered to fit my 8-year-old daughter.  For the record, I did not know there was a skull on the dress print until after I bought it!  I still love the peace-theme of the dress though.  This was actually pretty easy to alter.  I cut the straps off where they were sewn to the back side.  I had her try the dress on and then pinned the straps to fit her.  Next, I took a piece of 1/4" elastic and ran it thru the top back part of the dress from side seam to side seam.  I realized that the dress still needed to be gathered about mid back.  I used a piece of white bias tape and sewed it about 4" down from the top bodice back, ran a piece of elastic thru that, securing it at the ends.  I cut about 4" off the bottom and rehemmed it.  If you have daughters, don't give away those sundresses that no longer fit you or that you grow tired of wearing.  Some of your dresses can easily be altered just by resizing the straps and hemming.  Another option is to cut off the bodice and make it into a skirt.  It's amazing what a little elastic will do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!