Sunday, July 29, 2012

American Ships Quilt

Here is a project that I am working on...this amazing 1936 Ruby McKim "American Ships Quilt."  I have made a few quilts, but this is the first one involving hand embroidery.  I actually had to look up some online tutorials to figure out what to do! 


So far, I have completed three ships. The pattern consists of 45 pattern blocks, including a large square Rigged Clipper in the center that will combine applique with hand embroidery.  Each pattern is on paper which then has to be traced onto your fabric square; I am using Kona cotton for this.  Most of the ships are extremely detailed, and I have started with the easiest to trace.  Since I am new to hand embroidery, I'm hoping that I will be more experienced at this by the time I take on the more challening ones.  I definitely have quite a bit of work ahead!




This all started one day when I was researching quilts online and came across a selection of Ruby McKim quilts.  I love the 30s era of quilts.  My son happened to be looking with me. As soon as I found this quilt pattern, my son said,"Mommy, can you make that for me?"  Absolutely!

This is definitely a labor of love.  I am setting a goal for myself of 2 per month.  As for thread color choice, I'm letting my son have all the input there. :)  When completed, it should be 72" x 81."  According to my pattern, it states that with wide borders, the quilt can measure up to 90" x 99."  Once completed, I am going to have my husband design a wooden nautical quilt hanger to display it.



8 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That will be so cool. And such a special quilt for your son to treasure for years to come :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had to blog about it as a form of encouragement for myself to keep at it. It is so involved that it's going to take me a long time. Once I sit down with it in my hands, I'm content to work on it. It's just pulling it out to start a new one that is hard.

      Delete
  2. This is so lovely, Shirley Ann! Great idea and it will be SO worth your hard workin the end :) I sometimes find the same thing with big projects... I have a half knitted afghan blanket that has been on the needles for 3 years!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so hard to commit to these projects that can take months or even years! I find myself getting pulled towards a skirt or a blouse that I can do more quickly!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Justine! I actually bought the Colonial one as well. That one will be for me. I probably won't get to start that one for years from now! LOL

      Delete
  4. Oh this is the quilt you were telling me about! So amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tawny! I have so much more to do!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!