Sunday, July 22, 2012

Easy skirt!


I found this skirt tutorial on "Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing." I LOVE this site. If you haven't been there yet, I highly recommend it! I am learning a lot from reading her blog. One of her tutorials is this wonderful gathered full skirt. As soon as I came across this tutorial, I knew that this could be downsized to fit my girls as well.



Gertie's instructions are very easy to follow. All you have to do is take your waist and length measurement, do a little simple math, prepare your two rectangular pattern pieces, and then you are ready to sew them together! This skirt does require a zipper. I made this in just a couple of hours.

Note:  I have found that sewing a gathered piece of fabric to another fabric can push your gathers to one direction, making it look a little messy and sometimes catching more of the fabric in the seam allowance than you would like.  One way to help with this is to press your gathers flat with the iron before sewing.  It helps to keep everything straight and in one place!



I purchased this fabric from Walmart a couple of years ago when it was on their clearance rack.  I knew it would translate into something cute one day. :)  I just purchased some black gingham fabric to make myself and my girls all matching skirts--how fun!  I will post pics of those when completed.  By the way, my daughter in this pic likes only things that are "comfy."  She wore this all day and loved it!  It's hard when you make things for your children; you invest time and money, never knowing if they will be worn as much as you would like them to be.  I'm delighted that this pattern is a WINNER with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!