Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Farbenmix Boy's Imke Shirt

Here's another hooded shirt for my son.  This is about the 3rd or 4th time I have used this pattern.  This is from the book "Sewing Clothes Kids Love."  What a great title...it is so true.  This is one of my son's favorite shirts to wear.  Pattern pieces include a front, back, sleeve, and hood.  All of this is sewn by serger with the exception of top stitching on the hood only.  I used my coverstitch machine for the hems.  I purchased the fabric from an Etsy store.  This fabric has very little stretch to it--maybe 10%--yikes!  I honestly didn't know if it would fit because of that, so I made sure to only sew with a 1/4" seam allowance.  It is a little snug pulling on and off with the neck, but nothing to prevent him from wearing it.  My son likes his shirts a little on the long side, so I did lengthen the hem a couple of inches and kept the sleeves with a minimal 1/2" hem allowance.
I really tried hard to match the design up, which wasn't very easy since the lines of the fabric print are not consistent!  I am thrilled how it turned out. 

I'm always on the lookout for fun and funky fabrics to make his shirts that more interesting.  One thing I love about sewing is that most times, it will be a one of a kind.  He'll definitely be easy to spot out on the playground when he wears this shirt!

2 comments:

  1. It's so fun o see boys clothes for a change! I have that same book and made the Los Feliz dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That dress is on my list of things to make! I am always looking to see what others make for their sons. There just isn't enough out there for preteen boys. Thank goodness for this Farbenmix pattern. My son would be happy just with these shirts alone.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!