Friday, September 14, 2012

My Jalie Jeans

This is my Jalie Jean 2908.  There are so many fabulous reviews out there, and here is one more.  If you are debating on making yourself a pair of jeans, you must try these out.  The fit is perfect.  Unlike many reviews I read, I DID cut my waistband on the bias.  The only alteration I made was two small little darts on the back yoke to fix the tiny gap at my backside.



I can't say that I have ever had a better fit, even with RTW jeans.  I'm so excited about this pattern.  I cannot wait to make more.  For the first time ever, I will have several pairs of jeans to choose from.  See the pattern here.



I didn't shorten or lengthen these pants; I am 5'1" and I like my jeans a little long on me so I can wear them with boots.  I made the lowrise pattern option, which I feel was a great choice for me.  They seem a little higher than the typical lowrise jean I have purchased in stores, so I like this style of jean much better!

I purchased this stretch denim from Fabric.com. It is very lightweight, so I may go with a heavier weight fabric for the winter.

11 comments:

  1. Hi! It was really nice to meet you the other day! I didn't think to ask you about the sizing. Was it true to your RTW size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelly! I'm so glad we met too--it's so nice to meet someone else who sews! I made my jeans in a size 6. A RTW 6 would be 1 size to big for me. I measured my hips, which fell between the 4 and 6 on the pattern, so I went with the 6.

      Delete
  2. They look great! Your top stitching looks really nice. When I get up the nerve to have a go at making jeans, I'm definitely using this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza! When I did my topstitching, I realized that it looked best if I lengthened my stitch; I think it was a 4 on my machine. Otherwise, the stitches were too small looking and didn't show very well.

      Delete
  3. AMAZING!!!! Well done you! You definately need to make more then, imagine having a load of them to choose from! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so excited...still! I just need to find an online store that has a good variety of stretch denim. So far I haven't found one with many colors to choose from. I have never had colored jeans before, so now I know no limitations. LOL

      Delete
  4. THESE ARE FABULOUS!!! I have just got to try making some jeans now! These are so great. I have a difficult time finding pants and jeans that fit my figure right in the first place, I have been thinking about making some. Yours are just amazing! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I too have such a difficult time finding jeans that fit right. I was at the point where I just didn't look in stores any more; it was tiring trying on so many pairs that never fit. I was astounded that these fit me on the first try. Definitely give this pattern a try!

      Delete
  5. Awesome, Shirley!!! Again, these jeans look so professionally made!!! I'm looking forward to my pattern arriving in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog through Ottobre Flickr. Love your sewing! Your jeans look awesome. I have made many for my kids but never for myself.

    Just wondering how you knew that you needed to add the darts in the back? Did you put the waist band on and then have to take it off and add the darts?

    Did you adjust the rise of the pattern at all?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thank you for your lovely compliment, and thank you for posting on my blog! I actually put my jeans on before I sewed the waistband on. I didn't want to do that if they weren't going to fit. :) I had a gap on the backside, which disappeared when I pinched the fabric about 1/2 inch in two places. ALWAYS when trying on store-bought jeans, they gap on me. I just sewed these tiny darts before putting the waistband on and it worked perfect. I did not adjust the rise of the pattern. I have read on other blogs where people do that to their jeans, but that is still beyond my level of expertise. LOL The way I figure, perfect rise or not, they are still fitting me better than what any store has to offer that I have found.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!