Friday, September 7, 2012

Ottobre 6/2009 #38 "Becky" Nightdress

This is a little nightgown pattern that I found in the June '09 Ottobre magazine.  I chose this for two reasons: (1) my girls needed one and we couldn't find any in the stores that they liked, and (2)  I really wanted to try an easy Ottobre pattern.
 
 
This gown has a total of 7 pattern pieces; bodice front, bodice back, skirt (front/back) center panel, skirt side panel, neck band, and arm band.  With Ottobre patterns, you have to trace them from a large pattern sheet that actually has several patterns overlapping one another.  It's kind of neat actually because they have this nice color coding system, making it easy to find your pattern.  You just need a good light overhead to see your lines to trace.  And of course, you do have to add your seam allowances; hem allowances are included. 

 
 
I love my Janome Coverpro; it makes hemming a breeze!  I love the professional finished look you get.


I did not follow Ottobre's directions for attaching the binding to the neck and armband areas.  I stayed with a method I was more familiar with.  This gown was made using rayon blend jersey knit splatter multi/white from Fabric.com.

 
This gown was made using stretch ITY knit shadow zebra white/black from Fabric.com.


My daughter asked that I put sleeves on this one.  I said, "this pattern doesn't come with a sleeve."  Her response..."just pull a sleeve out from another pattern you have."  She is a fast learner.  I also hemmed the sleeves with fold over elastic.  It was definitely easier to work with a jersey knit, but this had fun results too.

12 comments:

  1. So cute! :)
    I just followed you :) great blog

    x houseinthesand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...and thank you for following me! I'm going to check out your blog now. :)

      Delete
    2. houseinthesand....your blog profile introduction is so heartfelt; it's wonderful!

      Delete
  2. What a pretty dress, who wouldn’t love it!
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. ottobre seems to have the best kid's patterns. I've never actually seen one, though. I love both the knits you used, especially that splatter one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should check out the women's issue that just came out for winter--it's so beautiful! I went to the Ottobre site and you can look at each page before you buy it, which I really like. I've looked at older issues, and this one really has it all.

      Delete
  4. Ooh cute! I have drooled over the coverlock machines but haven't invested. Do you use yours a lot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, now that I have it, I use it almost every time I make something. I have the 3 spool one and that is plenty for my sewing needs. You just won't believe how fast you can hem something with it! I bought mine thru Amazon and had it within a week.

      Delete
  5. Ottobre patterns sound like the old TopKids magazines. Love the splatter fabric. How lovely that your daughter has complete confidence in your sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I think my girls have too much confidence in my sewing abilities now! It is rare that I show them anything that isn't followed up by some form of alteration at their request! What have I done? LOL

      Delete
  6. These are really cute! I've been wondering how this pattern would look sewn up. I think the pattern could work for a summer dress, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Joy! I told my girls that they could either use them as nightgowns or dresses or I could make more to be worn as dresses. I love how easy this pattern is to trace and be sewn.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!