Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Double Slice Layer Cake Quilt

Here is a quilt project I am working on right now.  I found a tutorial here, which is by the Missouri Star Quilt Co.  Actually, they have many online tutorials. Once I start looking at them, I can't seem to stop!  They just make everything look incredibly easy.  


I'm making three of these, one for each of my children.  I wanted something that would be quick and easy and would not cost a lot of money to make.  I purchased three Santa's Workshop Stackers from Fabric.com (these are 10" squares).  I'm using three different coordinating Santa's Work Shop fabrics for the binding and white muslin for the border and backing fabric. Fortunately I already have some baby-sized quilt batting on hand.  I'm keeping the border narrow to be sure I don't go wider than the size batting I have.  This is just the top piece of the quilt.  These are the perfect size to snuggle up with on the couch during cold months.  I really like this fabric medley.  It is Christmas themed but not so much so that it can't be kept out all winter long.

(I have already started cutting for my second quilt)

After completed, I'm going to let my children use their fabric markers to decorate the backside!  :)  They are really excited about that.  I want this to be a combined Christmas project effort, something that will be a treasure for them to always enjoy.  I will post pictures again once I have finished them!  

8 comments:

  1. Very cute! Tawny likes that pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. I really want to do something big. I need to figure out what though. I saw a tutorial for a large star pattern that looks beautiful, and you use layer cakes to do it. I guess this cold weather is getting me in a quilting mood!

      Delete
  2. Shirley, the last two times you posted I could see it in my google reader but when I come to your website to comment I can't find it. I looked under sewing for me but when I click on the picture it doesn't find the page. I like your Julie top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because after looking at them again on my blog I didn't like them! LOL Sorry about that. I am in a sewing rut for myself and don't feel like what I've made these last couple of times has turned out. Has that ever happened to you? Maybe I should take a break and finish the quilts and sew for my kids.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE fun and easy, and these are great quilts! I also love the fact that you're little ones can help out with decorating the quilts and making them their 'own'. You sound like a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb! I love letting my kids add their own style to things; they are only little once. It makes my head spin how fast they grown up and aren't so little anymore. So I try to capture as many of those moments as I can.

      Delete
  4. that is SO cute, I am sure they will love them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Conni! I love the quilts you have made; I just took a look at your blog. Sometimes I get so caught up in making clothing that I forget how wonderful it is to quilt.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!