Saturday, October 27, 2012

Jalie Scarf-Collar Top

Here is my Jalie Scarf-Collar top.  I posted about this yesterday, but didn't like my picture in it.  I tried to sneak it off really quick, so if you saw it and then it was gone, that's my fault.  I really, really like this top, but don't feel it looks as good on me as I would like it to--even one of my girls said it looked kind of funny on me (I love her honesty!).  You know how you just don't "feel" good in something?  For starters, this fabric looks beautiful but not ideal for this top.  It is too thin!  I would have to wear another shirt underneath it, and then it looks bad when you do.  I am pretty sure I made the right size, so maybe my error is just in fabric type.  This is made from a Cielo stretch rayon blend jersey knit. Next time I will try this top in a different type of jersey, making it for my girls first.  

I feel like I'm in a sewing slump.  This is sewing project #3 that hasn't worked out well.  I made my patchwork jeans but folded my fabric wrong and had the stretch going lengthwise....eek!  They didn't fit obviously.  When they wouldn't go past my thighs, I realized I had made a BIG mistake.  A good amount of hours lost there.  Fortunately Denver Fabrics still had some in stock, which I ordered again and also picked up some black patchwork as well.  Lesson learned.

My second failed project was another top where my stripe/solid combination didn't look right, and now this top.  Oh well.  Moving on.  I'm still working on the quilt.  I can't just work on one long project it seems.  I still have to throw in some clothing as well.  Are any of you like that?  I guess it's like people who love to read, including my son.  It is rare for him to just read one book.  He usually has 2 or 3 going at the same time.  


I love the construction of this top.  The entire shirt rolls up into the collar piece, which you sew all around leaving a small opening to pull the shirt back out...very clever!  You can tie the scarf into a bow too.  I like the look of it just hanging freely.


You leave an opening about an inch down if you make version B or C, and then put the ends of the scarf thru it.


I love everything about this top.  I will definitely try this again but for my girls first.  Getting the right fabric is so important and so challenging sometimes.  If I am successful with it for my girls, then maybe I'll try it again for me.

Jalie has so many beautiful patterns for tops.  I really want to try their hooded shirt and another t-shirt pattern they have.  They have so many patterns that I would like to purchase!  Since they come in a huge range of sizes, if one doesn't work for me, my girls will still benefit from the pattern.

Shirley

11 comments:

  1. I thought maybe it would be cute with a super colorful cami underneath. The construction is cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too! I think the problem is that the fabric is so thin and clingy that it shows every hump, bump, or lump! LOL

      Delete
  2. This is really elegant Shirley. I love it! I like these Jalie patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine. Maybe the next one will look better on me!

      Delete
  3. I have a super tight tank top I bought in the lingerie department that I wear under knit tops that are really clingy. It's made to suck you in, for lack of a better description, and the fabric is really smooth and slick so knits don't get caught on it. I love it. Maybe something like that would help? I love the top and think you shouldn't give up on it! Also, I have totally cut and sewn a knit long sleeve tee with the stretch going lengthwise before. I was so bummed when I tried it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liza, thanks for telling me about your tank top! I will definitely look into finding something like that. It sounds like something I could definitely use. All of my camis are Old Navy tops, so they don't suck anything in. LOL

      Delete
    2. Liza, I looked online and found something called Assets by Sara Blakely which is a firmers camisole. Sounds like what you are talking about. For wearing underneath other clinging shirts and smooths the area but also gives some support--hurray! :) I found it on a site called Her Room. They have several brands, but this one is a decent price. Thanks so much! Maybe I'll wear this top afterall.

      Delete
  4. Cute Top! I really need to do some garment sewing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Now if I only had your embroidery talents! :)

      Delete
  5. I really like this top. It is lovely!! I would love to have one of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I ordered me a camisole to wear underneath it, so I hope it does the trick for this very thin fabric I chose to make it in. lol I really do like the design of it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!