Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Farbenmix Girls Imke

Today I made this cute jersey knit top for one of my girls.  This pattern can be found in the Sewing Clothes Kids Love book.  Farbenmix patterns are really a lot of fun to make.  I have made several Imke shirts for my son, but this is the first time I have made one for my girls.  



Since I used a different fabric for the hood lining, I pulled the lining a little forward and then top stitched the seam.  Normally I always fuss trying to get the seam just perfect here.  However, this time I decided since my fabrics were contrasting, it would be great if the lining was visible.


My daughter chose the fuller sleeve option for her shirt.  She is wearing this shirt with her Crafty Mamas Funky Pants.


I hemmed the sleeves with my coverstitch machine BEFORE I sewed the shirt down the sides.  I have found that the fewer seams I have to sew over, the better my coverstitch machine performs.  After the sides of the sleeves are sewn, I just "tack" the bottom of the sleeve hem right on the sleeve seam, hiding about 1/2 inch of the serger thread tail on the inside.  This just secures the stitching a little more.


These fabrics were purchased from Girl Charlee.


6 comments:

  1. That's really cute! I like how you did the lining! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's funny how one little thing can make such a difference with the hood. I couldn't wait for her to get home from school to try it on. LOL

      Delete
  2. Great combination of fabric colours, Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. That seems to continue to be my biggest challenge. It's hard to stockpile enough fabrics where you can easily choose and see what goes together. It makes my children so happy when I combine fabrics instead of just having a solid fabric shirt for them. I'm about ready to try it for myself too. :)

      Delete
  3. Very Cute. Thanks so much for sharing at last Wednesday's Adorned From Above Link Party. This weeks party is live. The link to the party is
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/11/wednesdays-adorned-from-above-link_14.html
    Can't wait to see you there.
    Have a great week.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debi. I'm currently working on a pair of cargo pants for my son; it's from an Ottobre pattern. I may not make it to this week's link party since they aren't finished yet! I'm really excited about them and can't wait to share.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!