Saturday, November 17, 2012

Ottobre Hi-hat pants 4/2008 #33

I am really excited to have finished my son's cargo pants!  The pattern can be found in the April 2008 issue of Ottobre magazine.  They are the "Hi-hat" casual pants, #33.  This is the first time I have ever made zippered pants for my son.  I feel like I have "graduated" from making elastic-waist pants now!  He wears 140 store-bought jeans, so I made a 140 pattern size; they fit exactly the same.  I found a tutorial online to help me with the cargo pockets, which you can find here.  Thanks Joy!!  


I used Gutermann grey topstitching thread.  With the many areas to topstitch, it took more than 1 spool of thread.


I love the construction of the back pockets; the top flap is sewn into the seam of the back yoke and pant.  The back pant leg is actually 2 separate pieces (how cool is that?); you can see the top stitching where the 2 pieces are joined.  The waistband fit perfectly, sewing together very easily.  I did add a strip of stabilizing tape to the edge of the waistband (the part that you turn under 3/8" on the top front of the pant).  My fabric had a slight stretch to it, so that kept my waistband fabric from stretching while sewing.


I purchased these silver star buttons from Fabric.com, and the pants are made from black twill purchased from Denver fabrics.



I found Ottobre's instructions to be very thorough for this pattern, but previous experience with zippers is a plus; there are additional instructions for zipper installation in this magazine issue.

When using Ottobre patterns, you do need to add seam allowances.  I purchased a 3/8" ruler from Claire here.  I follow Claire's blog, SA Curve, and decided to try out her ruler; I'm so glad I did.  It makes adding seam allowances a breeze.  I use to use my hem gauge, which took forever and not very practical on curved seams. 

My son is wearing his Farbenmix Imke shirt I made for him a while back.  See my post here

13 comments:

  1. Wow Shirley, they are awesome! You totally aced it!
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie! My son is already asking for a pair in another color. :) I guess that means I did good!

      Delete
  2. Very impressive! I would love to have you come share this or any of your great ideas at the link party on ‘Or so she says…' There’s one going on right now (and every Saturday – Tuesday). Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So professionally made, Shirley!!! No wonder your son has put in an order for another pair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shirley, I've featured your Hi-hat pants today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/11/threading-your-way-features_24.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great fabulous job on all the top stitching. Maybe a silly question where did you get your Ottobre magazine? I've been looking into these patterns and I'm trying to decide the best route.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a silly question at all! I buy my magazines directly from Ottobre at http://www.ottobredesign.com/
      It is cheaper than other websites I have found. You can order them in English. They have them in a few other languages as well. The cost is in Euro but you can google the current exchange rate and see what it will cost you. They also sell their back issues too.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!