Monday, December 3, 2012

Jalie 2918 (Boys/Mens T-Shirt)

I am very pleased with the Jalie 2918 t-shirt pattern for boys and men.  This pattern ranges in size from 2 to 22--wouldn't it be nice if every company did this?  Can you imagine only having to buy one pattern and being able to use it as your children grow into adult hood?  Yes, I am one of those mothers who hopes that my children will still want me to sew for them even when they have children of their own.  I told my son that if he ever decides that he doesn't want me to make his clothes, and this is okay, to just let me know.  His response..."Never!"  


One thing I really like about this t-shirt pattern is there is an actual pattern piece for the neckband.  Cut it out, sew it on, and it is a PERFECT fit.  That is enough in itself for me to return to this pattern time and time again.


He is wearing this shirt with his Ottobre Hi-hat pants I made; see them here.  This is the shirt I had planned for these pants.



If you have ever wondered about how a double sleeve is sewn, you sew up the side seam on both sleeves and then put them together, baste the edges, and then sew them as one piece to the shirt part of the fabric.  I always wondered that myself, so I thought I would pass that along.  It is super easy.  The downside to a double sleeve is FOUR sleeves to hem for one shirt--ha ha ha.  That's okay.  Even that is pretty quick with my coverstitch machine.  


I love this fabric!  Both fabrics were purchased from Girl Charlee fabrics.  They are my go-to-place for knits.  Rarely do I buy a knit fabric anywhere else now.  I am extremely happy with their quality and selection and price!  

Thanks for stopping by~


16 comments:

  1. I am really wanting to try a Jalie pattern now. I have never sewn anything besides a Halloween costume for my poor son who is now 19. You are a god mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine! This is my 3rd Jalie pattern to try and I'm hooked on them now. I think my son gets more excited when I plan out an outfit for him than my girls do. That's probably because I have found some things that I can actually make for him other than elasticized shorts like I did when he was little. :)

      Delete
  2. Awww, he said never! I love that. Did you use rib knit for the neck band or just a regular knit? It looks so professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liza Jane, I used some black jersey for the neck band. It wasn't the same jersey I used for the sleeves. I was afraid the sleeve fabric was a little too light weight to use. I had some medium weight jersey, which I felt would be better for the neck. I really want to buy some rib knit so I can use that instead. For now I save all of my scraps because it doesn't take much for a neck band!

      Delete
  3. Great size range for a pattern - that's awesome. I like your version, it'll go so well with those trousers.
    Neckbands can be tricky. I'm glad this one went well. I usually cut the band to around 80% of the length around the neckline and stretch a lite as I sew.
    Cheers,
    Suzie
    www.nomoa.co.nz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie! Thanks for letting me know the percentage you cut incase I don't have a pattern piece on something. It's nice to know what to do! Neckbands are stressful sewing to me...every time...sigh.

      Delete
  4. All three of my children reached a stage where they no longer wanted me to sew for them:-(. Fancy a pattern having a pattern piece for a neckband... wonderful!!! The t-shirt looks GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, oddly enough I think my girls will have me stop sewing for them before my son ever will! I'm so happy I tried out this pattern since boys practically live in t-shirts. I guess I have no excuse now but to try to sew one up for my husband...especially since he is no asking for one.

      Delete
    2. oops...I meant to type "now asking for one."

      Delete
  5. Shirley that looks ACE! So sweet your son is committed to handmade for life! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! I am very blessed to have children that appreciate the qualities of handmade items. :)

      Delete
  6. Great idea. These fabrics go great together. You are very talented. Thanks for sharing at the Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    Adorned From Above,
    Debi.
    The Busy Bee's,
    Myrna and Joye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like I'm addicted to sewing. lol I guess that is a good thing because I'm actually making things now that my children like. :)

      Delete
  7. This is a great t shirt. Thanks so much for sharing at Wednesday's Adorned From Above Blog Hop.
    This weeks party starts at midnight tonight. I can’t wait to see what you have been up to.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com
    Debi @ Adorned From Above
    Joye and Myrna @ The Busy Bee's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking t-shirt! I've made this pattern numerous times, but I don't *think* I've done the double sleeved version. I wish Ottobre would do the 2-22 size range for their patterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great if there was a larger size range! I need to try and play around with this pattern to figure out how to put a hood on it. My son loves his hooded shirts, but the pattern I have is on it's last size, and I have yet to find a replacement.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!