Saturday, February 23, 2013

Simplicity 3510 Project Runway

Here is a peasant-style top I made using Simplicity 3510 pattern.  The pattern has many variations to it, all for dresses.  I decided to shorten the pattern to make a blouse to match a ruffle knit skirt I wanted to make to match.


I used a stretch ruffle lace trim over the seam that joined the bodice to the lower part of the blouse.


I purchased some ruffle knit fabric from Girl Charlee fabrics for the skirt.  I didn't use a pattern.  Instead, I made a yoga-style band for the skirt top.  Next I measured how long I wanted the skirt to be and carefully cut beneath the "ruffled" fabric.  Laying right sides together, I drew a line with just a slight flare from the top to the bottom.  I stretched the yoga band as far as it would stretch, and this is where I started the seam line for the top of the skirt. I placed another skirt on the bottom of the fabric to use as a gauge for the width.  I lined up the seam with the seam of the yoga band, which I placed in the center back.



I also made a black jersey knit camisole to be worn underneath the blouse.  I used a store-bought camisole top that was too small for the pattern, just enlarging it a little when I traced it.  I used FOE for the edging of the top and straps.  

Thanks for stopping by, Shirley


10 comments:

  1. Lovely outfit. I bet this gets worn a lot.
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzie. I just need to take up the straps on the camisole and then it will be perfect!

      Delete
  2. Hi Shirley, I'm visiting from Sew Darn Crafty.
    I love your peasant top, I'm sewing one for myself at the moment and I think I'll sew some details being inspired from yours (the stretch ruffle lace trim is the one I like most). I love your Lovely Layers Top, it's really on my style :)
    I started following you today on GFC; if you want, I'd really be pleased if you visit my brand new sewing/serging blog and, if you like what you see, follow me too :)
    Tx a lot,
    C U soon
    MammaNene from

    SergerPepper.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MammaNene! I'm following you now too. I really like the lovely layers top too; it's really easy to sew up and very comfortable to wear. I also made a peasant top for myself; it's a Lila Tueller pattern. It's one of the first things on my "sewing for me" that I made. It's actually one of my favorite patterns. Lila also has a pattern for a peasant style dress. I made it a couple of years ago and really need to add it to my blog.

      Delete
  3. Great outfit! I can imagine the black ruffle knit skirt will get lots of wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! My girls love ruffles. I'm so happy to have girly girls. :)

      Delete
  4. I love the blouse! So cute! I need to remember that I can modify patterns like that. I get into a rut and think it has to look just like the pattern! Thanks for the cute reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Myra. My girls are the inspiration behind modifying patterns. They show me a pattern but then ask if I can make it a little differently. LOL They continue to challenge my sewing skills.

      Delete
  5. What a cute blouse! I love both peasant blouses and black/white gingham, so I guess I would like them together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I love gingham too, but some of the detail was lost to it in this particular blouse with the tucking of the fabric.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!