Thursday, April 18, 2013

Tunic top/dress

My daughter picked out this fabric from Girl Charlee online.  There is a brown stripe in the mix here that matches the RTW brown leggings that she has on.  I used Modkid's Bloom Dress pattern I have, minus the "bloom." :)  I added 1/2" to the sleeve length so I had enough to turn the hem under without preparing a separate sleeve binding.  



I used the patterns neck binding pattern piece.  After sewing it on, I then turned it to the inside to cover my stitching, making an even narrower neckband which I like!  This is the FIRST time I have attempted using my coverstitch machine to sew a neckband down with.  That made me really nervous!  I had no idea how it would turn out and I really didn't want to have to pick it all out.  Thankfully it worked for me.  


Thanks for stopping by~Shirley


4 comments:

  1. Wait... You got a cover stitch??? oh my gosh that's awesome! It's on my wish list if I ever start working with knits enough to justify it. :) The dress is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I have one by Janome, the 3 thread one and it's perfect for my needs and really easy to operate. I bought it off Amazon. :) I was a little nervous about how much I would use it, but now that I have it, I use it all the time. Plus, you can use it for cottons too. It makes a great hem. Now I want an embroidery machine!

      Delete
  2. I've been making knit dresses, too. So comfortable and practical.
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzie, I look online at different stores and see what the new trend is for knit tops and dresses and try to duplicate that at home!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!