Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Anna Sui Vogue Pattern #1177


This is my very first Vogue pattern dress.  I am delighted at how nice it turned out!  It took me several weeks to make this dress since I took breaks in between to make other things for my children.  Also, with all the tucks, this dress is very time consuming but well worth the effort.  The pattern includes a slip, which I will make prior to wearing.  I purchased this cotton voile from Fabric.com last summer without a project plan in mind.


Based on the pattern picture, I thought the dress might be a little shorter than I'm comfortable with, but it was not.  I entertained the idea of making me a pair of capri leggings to wear with it.  After looking at the pattern pieces and determining the length, it was just slightly above my knees.  I am 5'1 and did not lengthen the pattern pieces any.  Perfect...no leggings needed.



I actually made quite the error in making the sleeves.  I removed my sleeves from the pattern piece before marking.  When I did mark my sleeves, I forgot to flip one of them, giving me two right sleeves.  Unfortunately I did not notice this until AFTER I had made the continuous lap.  I thought all was lost until my wonderful husband suggested that I cut off the sleeves above the continuous lap and continue from that point again.  So, the sleeves are supposed to be a little longer, but it still worked for me. 


Overall, technically speaking, this pattern is pretty easy other than the continuous lap.  I even sewed my buttons on by machine this time.  Normally I do this by hand--why?  Never again!  It is so much quicker by machine.  


Here is a close up of the tucks on the back side.

Thanks for stopping by ~Shirley

10 comments:

  1. Very cute! :-) I like the print. I love Anna Sui.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I was always intimidated to try Vogue, but now that I have, I'm ready to sew up more!

      Delete
  2. Very nice work! I remember when I discovered sewing buttons by machine. Life changing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I imagine my buttons might even stay on now instead of popping off at some point in the future! LOL

      Delete
  3. A beautiful dress, Shirley! Love the fabric and the way the dress hangs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I got so lucky with the fabric. I cannot begin to tell you how much I struggle with that and I have been sewing for years. Today I am working on shorts for my son, and once again, the fabric is not what I had anticipated; however, I will complete them as a workable muslin and go from there. :)

      Delete
  4. Love the design and also your choice of fabric, beautiful! I'll try this pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to see your version of this pattern!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!