Friday, June 7, 2013

Simplicity 1616 Skirt




Skirt View E
Size 10
Fabric:  Printed Gauze from Fabric.com
Sewn with my Janome Serger
Hemmed with my Janome Coverstitch Machine
Thread used:  Polyester in upper loopers/Wooly Nylon in lower loopers
No alterations/followed pattern instructions exactly
 I used my hip measurement, which is 34 1/2", to select my pattern size


I self-drafted a hat/scarf to match my skirt


RTW Gauze blouse from Old Navy



I LOVE this skirt.  I'm already preparing  fabric for my next one.  This skirt is so easy and definitely a beginner level sewing pattern--gathering stitches at skirt top / elastic insertion into waistband / 3 pattern pieces / pattern guide piece so you know exactly how much to "gather" your skirt for a perfect fit to join to waistband.  

Very comfortable to wear!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. I just bought this pattern! I was thinking of doing it in a stretchy knit with the waist just a little more snug to hold it up and forgetting the elastic. Do you think that would work? I have never seen/done a skirt with floating elastic in it and I thought it was a little strange. Was it ok?

    BTW just discovered your blog. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melyssa! Yes, I think doing it in stretchy knit without the elastic would work...even better! It is a little strange how the pattern has the elastic and you end up with uneven placement of fabric on the waistband, but it's covered by my shirt. If I tucked a blouse in, I would have to fiddle with the fabric so it wouldn't get bunched by the elastic.

      Delete
  2. Hi Shirley! My name is Maddie Flanigan and I am the blogger behind Madalynne, a sewing and pattern making blog (www.madalynne.com). I have a friend who is making this skirt and is stuck at step #4 and #5, especially about the pattern guide piece. Do you think you could send me an email and help her and I with the construction! I would greatly appreciate it!

    maddie964@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I seem to be having the same problems with #4 and #5 regarding the guide. Could you PLEASE help me with this also?

    I've been sewing more than 20 years, yet this super simple skirt is stumping me!?!?! Go figure!!!

    Thank you very much!

    -Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! My email address is nickrodgy@hotmail.com. I suppose you'll need that if you are going to email me. Silly me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. I seem to be having the same problems with #4 and #5 regarding the guide. Could you PLEASE help me with this also?

    I've been sewing more than 20 years, yet this super simple skirt is stumping me!?!?! Go figure!!!

    Thank you very much!

    -Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!