Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Uptown Hobo Purse

I won this pattern from Justine at Sew Country Chick!  Justine's blog is one of the first blogs I started following when I created my own blog.  She inspires me with all of her creations.


I chose a blue vinyl to make this purse, which was NOT one of the fabric recommendations--why do I do that?    More and more I tell myself, after I make something, follow the fabric recommendations...they are there for a reason!  LOL  I actually saw some blue vinyl purses in my neighborhood mall that looked lovely.  Anyway, it really was a struggle to sew vinyl on my machine, and I have a powerful machine.  The problem is, the vinyl doesn't want to slide under the presser foot.  I have a special foot for sewing with laminates, but it wouldn't move with the thickness, requiring me to use my walking foot.  I even tried putting masking tape underneath my foot, but then it wouldn't walk like it should.  BIG sigh.  I worked through it though.

To decorate my purse, I decided to use a quilting stencil I had, using chalk to trace the lines before stitching.


I love the matching blue chevron fabric for the lining.  I have always wanted a blue purse, but never would buy one for myself.  This gave me the perfect opportunity to make one.  I used a snap closure; I had no idea how easy snaps were to install.  

I really like the pattern and the directions were very easy to follow.  I am very happy with the results even though my fabric choice was somewhat challenging!  I'm thinking for winter I want to make one in a fabric to match my wool coat that is on my to-do-list.

Fabrics purchased from Fabric.com.



Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. It turned out awesome!!!! I love that you put quilting on it. Nice touch! I've only made a very small project with vinyl. It intimidates me. I have fabric for a rain coat that I've had for .. I don't know ... Like three years! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. I won't sew with vinyl again. I would like to try laminated cotton though. I think my presser foot would work well for that. I forget what it's called. I bought it when I was going to make insulated bags for lunches but decided to buy from LL Bean instead! Making a raincoat would be fun though--give it a try!

      Delete
  2. Very cute and unique purse! I really should think about making my own, too, since I never like what I see in the stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I find more and more I'm looking at purse patterns now. They are really a nice change from making clothing all the time!

      Delete
  3. That's a great purse for summer Shirley! I never follow pattern recommendations either LOL.. I had trouble with my bag too. I had to sew most of it by hand because the topstitching looked terrible. The machine kept jerking around. I should buy a walking foot. I Hope all is well with you! Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine. It didn't occur to me to do any handstitching; that was a good idea you had. I have learned that a walking foot even helps with sewing knits! It is definitely a good investment.

      Delete
  4. This is a great bag, and I just love the colour/fabric choices...off to have a peek around your blog...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judith! I hope you find more things you like here. :) Thank you for visiting my blog.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!