Wednesday, July 3, 2013

4th of July Outfit

A couple of years ago I made this dress for my girls for our 4th of July celebration.  This is a very quick and easy pattern to sew up...great for those moments when you are pressed for time or just looking for a basic sundress!



So this year one of my girls asked me to make her an outfit for this 4th of July, but she asked me last night!  No problem.  Thankfully I still had these dresses, but obviously they had well outgrown them. My husband had a fantastic idea!  Instead of making the dresses again, I cut the bodice off and inserted a navy blue jersey band.  




It really is a good idea to hang onto items of clothing, if you have the storage space, because you never know when a refashion opportunity will present itself.  In a matter of 30 minutes, I was able to create an entirely new looking dress.  My daughter says she likes this version even better than the original.  She likes that it is soft and comfy around the tummy.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


8 comments:

  1. VERY clever, Shirley (and hubby) and I love the new look!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pam! I feel quite happy today that this worked out so well! I like the new look, and will make a couple for my girls for school. Instead of tie straps, I'll make a solid wide strap, making it appropriate for school attire. It's so much fun to take something out of the "outgrown pile" and turn it into something functional to wear now. I regret putting something of my own in their scrap pile that I thought of another use for recently. When I went looking for it, it was just that...scraps!!! Many scraps!!! LOL Lesson learned. I guess we can't keep everything though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fantastic idea for extending the life of a little girl's dress, well done! It's fun to have a themed outfit for special days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I just love seeing your creations on your blog. :)

      Delete
  4. Great idea! And what a cute fourth of july dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! I use to always try to make a new outfit for my kids for the holidays when they were younger. Now I sew so much more that the holidays kind of come up so quickly and I haven't made a "theme" outfit! This time I got reminded at the last minute.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea! It turned out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! It's so nice to find a quick fix to extend the life of something once made!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!