Monday, July 8, 2013

Crafty Girl's Skirt

 This weekend, one of my girls went through her clothes and pulled out what no longer fit, passing them on to her sister which is able to wear her hand-me-downs (who thought with twins you could do that?).  I had forgotten about making this skirt, which was pre-Blog days for me.  So, I took some pics and thought I'd share with you what I did.


All you have to do is cut off a pair of jeans right below the zipper area, making sure you have a "skirt" opening with no legs.


I took a piece of cotton fabric and cut it the length I wanted by the WOF.  I seamed the side edge, and then hemmed both top and bottom edges.  Next, I gathered the top of the fabric and sewed it to the "top" of the denim.  I like seeing the ruffled cotton layered on top instead of sewing right sides together.


Embellish with ribbons, buttons, and other trims.


I'm so glad this skirt resurfaced.  When my one daughter grows out of her jeans, her sister doesn't want them since she doesn't wear jeans.  However, she loves the idea of me turning them into skirts!

thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

5 comments:

  1. Aww, what a sweet refashion! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous, Shirley. All the yellow trims look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I really need to build my ribbon stash. It is so much more fun to add to fabrics this way. You are so amazing with your creativity. I'm so glad I found your blog!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!