Saturday, July 6, 2013

Ottobre's Cordelia Cotton Dress


I am so excited about this dress--I love it in every way!  This is the Cordelia Dress (#3) in Ottobre Woman 2/2012.  I made this in a size 36.  I normally by a RTW 38 in tops, but my RTW pants/shorts/skirts are a 34.  I decided that a 36 would work for me, banking on enough ease in the top and I was right.


As soon as I saw the pattern, I knew immediately that Valori Wells Wrenly Voile would be the perfect fabric.  That rarely happens for me....knowing what fabric would work best!  



I found the pattern instructions well written.  I love how there are horizontal gathering seams front and back to give this a more fitted shape.  Elastic is sewn right to the sleeve edge and then turned up for the hem.  This is the first time I have done this and really like the look.

  

I really took my time sewing this dress, basting everything first.  I used my serger to only finish seams, being careful not to sew over the stitched seam by my sewing machine.  

Fabric purchased from fabric.com
Buttons purchased from a local fabric store


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


24 comments:

  1. visiting from sew darn crafty. This is gorgeous, you must be so happy with it. You are right the material is just the best and looks great as this dress

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I love this dress. Visiting from Sew Many Ways link party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you for visiting from Sew Many Ways!

      Delete
  3. LOVE IT!!! So beautiful! I love the fabric. I knew what it was instantly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I love this voile fabric. It just feels so nice when you wear it!

      Delete
  4. Very pretty! I like that sleeve treatment, too. It gives the sleeve a really nice shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! Trying to sew up these Ottobre patterns are really advancing my sewing skills. :)

      Delete
  5. You are right, it is the perfect fabric for this dress! You and your dress look great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, your dress is lovely! so summery and floaty. Looks beautiful worn with your hat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. It's definitely my favorite dress for this summer! Thank you for the hat compliment. I'm just finishing up with chemo and hats haven't always been my thing, so I'm trying to be creative with headcovers till my hair is longer.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful dress! The fabric IS perfect for it! It's nice to see this one sewn as I have the pattern traced...it'll be hard to choose a fabric, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I was a little concerned about the "sack dress" look, but I was so in love with the pattern that I didn't care. I was pleasantly surprised when I was finished that it fit so well and was nicely fitted but still comfortable too.

      Delete
  8. The dress is so pretty and flattering on you, too. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen! It's so rewarding when you find the right pattern and the right fabric! That is always a challenge to me. I really need to start making a list of fabrics that work well.

      Delete
  9. This dress looks fabulous on you, Shirley and the fabric is perfect for the style of dress!!! Way to go not having to deliberate over which fabric to use. Choosing the fabric can take me as long as making a garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I guess that is why we all have fabric stashes--for those "what was I thinking?" purchases! LOL

      Delete
    2. I've featured your Cordelia dress today, Shirley...

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!