Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pink Fig "The Girly Skirt"

Here are skirts for my girls made from Pink Fig's "The Girly Skirt No. 4"
This is a very basic skirt pattern that is great for a beginner looking to make an easy skirt.  I purchased this pattern as a tool to teach my girls to sew.  I wanted a pattern that they could read and easily understand and this was a good choice.    I purchased this pattern a year ago and told them it was theirs when they were ready for an actual sewing lesson.  One of my girls was ready.  They both already sew on the sewing machine making crafts and other things.  


I have to say that I really like this skirt pattern.  Sometimes the simplest of skirts is just a great staple to your child's wardrobe.  It's easy to pull on, nothing has to be buttoned or zipped, and it just looks good.   There are no actual pieces to this pattern; instructions include dimensions to cut based on child's age.  All you need are fabric and elastic.




She is very proud of her first "real" skirt she can wear.  I did assist with the gathering stitches and I threw in a lining of batiste so she wouldn't have to wear shorts underneath.


Sometimes I forget about accessorizing with lace or ribbons until my girls go through my stash and find something from long ago that they want to use!  I love these little butterflies and wouldn't have thought to use them at the hemline like my daughter did.


(big box underneath the table to elevate the presser foot!)


 And.....here is one I made for my other daughter in an eyelet with a batiste lining as well.  We did not do the coordinating band at the bottom of the skirt shown on the pattern.  


...a little rickrack at the seam where the waistband meets the skirt.  


If you have children, it is a great idea to teach them to sew if they show any interest.  I started teaching my girls and my son at age 6.  I purchased felt squares and taught them to thread a needle and they began sewing the squares together by hand.  Now all 3 of our children know how to use a sewing machine as well as sew things by hand.  It is amazing how much they learn just by observation.  I am just in awe of their abilities.  I can only imagine their skills when they are my age!

thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

6 comments:

  1. Your daughter has done a FABULOUS job making her first skirt, Shirley!!! There'll be no stopping her now that she's made something she can wear. You might have to queue up to use the machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! Actually they have their own sewing machine, but it is being serviced. I finally let them use mine because I know I would have a hard time waiting and not being able to sew! LOL

      Delete
  2. Oh how sweet. My girly is four. She has a little machine that she "play" sews on. She is begging me to let her make a coat:) My boys love to push the peddle while I sew. Thank you for sharing your daughter's great skirt. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sewing Momma! I am truly amazed at how much my children have learned just by observation. I haven't always "taught" them things about sewing, but like you, having them nearby and hanging around by the sewing machine, it has made such an impact!

      Delete
  3. I bet your little girl is so proud to wear her skirt! I am inspired to get Lily back into sewing. She lost interest but i going to have her do it anyway since its such a good skill to learn and I feel guilty for not teaching her more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is Justine. We have a sewing machine set up for our kids to share and they have pretty much all my scraps from sewing. I like them having their own sewing area so they can just go be creative when the mood strikes! I am amazed at what they have come up with on their own. One of my girls makes outfits for her "my little pony" figures, as well as Barbie clothes.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!