Thursday, July 11, 2013

The "Ruska" Raglan-Sleeve Blouse

 My daughter picked out some owl fabric that she loved, so I went thru my patterns to figure out what kind of top I could make with just the yard that I bought.  I really like the Ruska top in the Ottobre April '08 magazine.  However, I didn't think she would like the neckline.  Wearing a layered garment isn't really within her comfort level.  Looking at the pattern pieces, I knew that this could easily be adapted for a peasant-style blouse.  I cut it out in the 128 size, but I left off the seam allowance on the side only.  I turned the top down by 1/2" and used 1/4" elastic.  I also left the arm band piece off (per my daughter's request), and I also omitted the elastic at the bottom so it wouldn't be confining.


Shorts are made from the Craft Mama's Funky Pant Pattern.


 
 I just LOVE these owl
earrings I found for her.....they compliment her blouse very well.

Shirt fabrics purchased from Fabric.com
Shorts fabric purchased from Girl Charlee
Earrings found on an Etsy site

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


12 comments:

  1. The owl earrings are perfect.
    Suzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Suzie. I guess I'm already teaching my girls to accessorize! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. That owl fabric is gorgeous, Shirley and the blue works so well with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! That was actually a "good" mistake. I cut the sleeves out and realized I had 2 the same. I had limited fabric and cut them out on a single piece of fabric and forgot to flip the pattern for the second one! I was so relieved to find a coordinating fabric in my stash. No matter how much we sew, I guess we all make silly mistakes. I actually am glad it turned out that way now. LOL

      Delete
  4. This top is not only cute, it also looks very comfy :) Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to meet you via Pam's "Threading My Way." Congratulations on being the featured blog. Looking over your blog, you remind me of me a few years back when I sewed all the clothes for my 2 girls and me. I really enJOYed it. You've got some great work here. Sweet clothes for the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy! I appreciate the compliments and thank you for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  6. It turned out really cute, especially with that great owl fabric! When I made this pattern, I was thinking elastic is definitely the way to go next time for the neckline, as the binding and gathering are picky work and the end result is not as cute as the peasant style. Seeing your version has redeemed this a bit for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! Yea, looking at the instructions for the neckline, I was sure that would never stay on Serena's shoulders. It would always be slipping off! Sewing it up as a peasant top was so fast. I told her she can have as many as she wants! LOL

      Delete
  7. Just found your blog via your comment on Sewing on the Edge's blog. These kids' clothes are darling, and they look so comfy, too. Oh, and those owl earrings? Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra! I have so much fun making clothes for my girls and my son...and me too! One of these days I'll try to make something for my husband. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!