Thursday, August 29, 2013

Jalie 3242 Underwear

I'm so excited that I actually made underwear!  I made these this morning for my son using the Jalie Underwear pattern #3242.  This pattern includes a variety of styles for your whole family.  This pattern has only 2 pieces.  I especially like how Jalie tells you exactly what length to cut your elastic--no measuring and hoping for a good fit.  


I have to say these are fairly simple to make if you are accustomed to sewing with knits already.  The only part I found challenging was the topstitching around the paneled area.  Jalie shows using a straight stitch, but try as I might, I could not find the right combination for my machine to do this in the manner that I found pleasing.  I think a zigzag works just as well for that area.   


I first saw this pattern on the Male Pattern Boldness blog.  Referring to his blog post really helped me to be able to make these.


My son said to me, "now all you have to do is learn how to make socks and you can make everything I wear!"  

I purchased the elastic from Sew Sassy.  It's the "plush backed" brief elastic.  I haven't been able to find any other brief elastic that is colored, so I think I might try using some fabric dye in the future.  For the underwear, I had a large enough piece of jersey knit in my scrap bag--hurray!

thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


8 comments:

  1. Great job! I too, love that pattern :)
    The zig-zag stitch looks just fine too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I need to try out the patterns on it for my girls and maybe even me!

      Delete
  2. I've only tried kids' underwear once and it was a dismal failure. Great job, Shirley!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I still am working on the fit for my son. He told me after wearing them that they creep up the leg a little. Maybe that is normal with this style? He is use to wearing cotton boxers. So he wants me to make another pair but make them an inch longer to see if that makes them more comfortable. I just love how my children trust me to keep trying for that perfect fit! LOL

      Delete
  3. These look great! I am tempted to check out the pattern for the boys in my family too :)
    Straight stitches on a knit fabric spells snapped stitches in my experience, so I think you made the right decision to go with zig zag...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. I especially like the camo print for a boy. This is not something I have seen in stores.

      Delete
  4. I've looked at this pattern a few times, and now you're tempting me more!

    They look great! Hopefully it won't be much trouble to tweak the fit just to his preferences.

    How great that your son likes the idea of a mom-made wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I'm glad this has tempted you to try! I get so many inspirations from your blog! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!