Saturday, August 17, 2013

Simplicity 1894

I feel like this is almost too basic a top to post about!  This is so simple, yet my daughter loves it.  This is a Disney "Shake it Up" pattern and so far this is my first project.  I have Simplicity 1895, another Shake it Up pattern, that I will be sewing from as well. I actually made this tunic in a stretch knit instead of cotton and left the bottom unhemmed.  I used fold over elastic on the arms, and I made a neckband out of the chevron fabric.  The pattern, for this tunic, calls for cotton and then bias tape for the neck and arms.  I will do that as well.  I just had this chevron left over from a previous project that I had promised my daughter.




Tunic fabric purchased from Girl Charlee
Old Navy T-shirt and leggings


thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley




10 comments:

  1. Cute as usual! I really like the hem line on that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I have started another one in a pink camo stretch knit but using bias tape for the neck and arms this time. I'm really amazed that it is working on knit! I didn't with the chevron because I was afraid the knit would stretch and not stay with the bias tape, but it is working out well. I have extra yardage of the camo fabric, so I wasn't worried if I had to scrap it.

      Delete
  2. That's a very cute little top :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I'm now making tunic #3. LOL Makes for quick and easy school attire.

      Delete
  3. A great little top, Shirley. Love the hemline!!! I have never used fold over elastic, but was just reading about it before I read this post. I like the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam! FOE is really great for finishing off necklines and arms. It's just a little tricky to keep in place so use a lot of pins. I made my girls some nightgowns out of ITY knit and it worked really well that too.

      Delete
  4. This is the type of top my 10 year old would wear a lot! Great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine. The funny thing about the clothes I make for my girls is the projects that seem to be so simple and take the least amount of time end up being their favorites! So lately I have been leaving the more complicated projects for myself!

      Delete
  5. Very cute! I have that same fabric, but it's in stash, not in a garment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better get it sewn up Joy! You never know how long the chevron craze is going to last. LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!