Monday, September 30, 2013

Farbenmix Imke

The Farbenmix Imke pattern is my "go-to" pattern for my son.  He never tires of this shirt.  This is the first time I have used this pattern with the double sleeve.  My son is a big fan of penguins, so I was really excited when I saw this jersey knit on the Girl Charlee site.  I purchased the solid black knit from Girl Charlee as well.


I used my serger and coverstitch machines for the construction of this shirt.  I also used my sewing machine to baste the sleeves together before sewing them to the shirt.


...lined hood.


...extra length added to shirt and sleeves.  


The other day I was looking at one of my son's RTW shirts and noticed a band sewn underneath the shirt along with the hem, making it look like it was 2 shirts instead of one.  Simple!  I cut a piece of black jersey the circumference of the shirt by 3 inches.  I sewed the short ends together, folded wrong sides together and basted the long edges together.  Next, I lined it up underneath the penguin jersey and used my coverstitch machine to hem/stitch them together at the same time.  I'll be doing this a lot more now with his shirts.  

thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

10 comments:

  1. Looks super professional! The band really does make it look like two shirts. Love those penguins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liza Jane! It feels good to finally get this pattern mastered. LOL Now if I could only do that for myself.

      Delete
  2. So professionally sewn, Shirley!!! The double sleeve looks great and move so because it's the same colour as the hood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I am so thrilled with this shirt! My son wore it to school yesterday and told everyone that his mom made it. He is so proud of his home sewn clothes.

      Delete
    2. Hi Shirley, I've featured your sweater today...

      Delete
  3. That is one amazing hoodie! I love penguins too and had been eyeing up that fabric. It is so lovely that he enjoys something you make for him. Such a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is an awesome feeling that my son likes his clothes so much. He won't even part with the clothes that I make that he has outgrown. He says they are special. I guess I will have to turn these fabrics into a quilt for him one day. :)

      Delete
  4. Great looking shirt! The penguins are very fun. Sewing for boys if definitely not the same sort of fun as sewing for girls (: but it is gratifying to make them something they really like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! It is hard finding fun fabrics for boys. I wish I new something about fabric design. There is a huge market waiting to be tapped into for boys other than tools and dinosaurs! LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!