I LOVE Ottobre patterns! Here is the Sulka Jersey dress from 6/2012--#30. My girls really like the mustache fabric, so I have been wanting to make them some dresses.
This is the first dress I have ever made where I had to use elastic to gather with. This is definitely a learning curve for me, but I like how quick it is versus using gathering stitches (if you get it right the first time). A few times I ran off the elastic and had to back track. The sleeve seams are also slightly gathered with elastic. The most difficult part of the dress for me was the outer front bodice pieces. One side had to have elastic sewn in the seam allowance to gather. When I sewed the inner front bodice piece to the outer front bodice piece, they didn't exactly match up in length. If I make this dress again, I think I'll just use basting stitches so I can control the gathers a little bit more. I think that will work for me, but I'm not sure.
I didn't lengthen or shorten this pattern, and a size 140 fit my daughter perfectly. I just use their height measurement and so far, everything fits as it should.
I imagine white leggings would look better. However, if you sew for your children, you know that sometimes you are just happy with them trying it on for photos and go with that. Once you start asking to coordinate garments with other colored leggings that they aren't currently wearing, you might lose their cooperation for photos! :)
The bows are really quick and easy to make and add such a nice touch. I'll keep this in mind for other garments I make in the future.
I have to say I think this is the best neckband I have done so far. I used Ottobre's math formula to calculate the length and it worked perfectly! I topstitched the neckband seam allowance down using a long straight stitch which didn't interfere with the garment's ability to stretch over the head.
This was really a fun dress to make!
I purchased the fabric from Girl Charlee fabrics.
Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley