Friday, September 27, 2013

Ottobre's Sulka Jersey Dress

I LOVE Ottobre patterns!  Here is the Sulka Jersey dress from 6/2012--#30.  My girls really like the mustache fabric, so I have been wanting to make them some dresses. 


This is the first dress I have ever made where I had to use elastic to gather with.  This is definitely a learning curve for me, but I like how quick it is versus using gathering stitches (if you get it right the first time).  A few times I ran off the elastic and had to back track.  The sleeve seams are also slightly gathered with elastic. The most difficult part of the dress for me was the outer front bodice pieces.  One side had to have elastic sewn in the seam allowance to gather.  When I sewed the inner front bodice piece to the outer front bodice piece, they didn't exactly match up in length.  If I make this dress again, I think I'll just use basting stitches so I can control the gathers a little bit more.  I think that will work for me, but I'm not sure. 


I didn't lengthen or shorten this pattern, and a size 140 fit my daughter perfectly.  I just use their height measurement and so far, everything fits as it should.


I imagine white leggings would look better.  However, if you sew for your children, you know that sometimes you are just happy with them trying it on for photos and go with that.  Once you start asking to coordinate garments with other colored leggings that they aren't currently wearing, you might lose their cooperation for photos! :)

 The bows are really quick and easy to make and add such a nice touch.  I'll keep this in mind for other garments I make in the future.

  

I have to say I think this is the best neckband I have done so far.  I used Ottobre's math formula to calculate the length and it worked perfectly!  I topstitched the neckband seam allowance down using a long straight stitch which didn't interfere with the garment's ability to stretch over the head.  


This was really a fun dress to make!

I purchased the fabric from Girl Charlee fabrics.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley



10 comments:

  1. so cute! I really like using the elastic to gather; however, I have found you do have less control over it as you also stated :)
    The mustache fabric is so awesome. And I also agree, getting children to pose for pictures is a battle enough! The leggings look cute with it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You are exactly right, less control with sewing elastic. It didn't help that I had 1/2" elastic instead of the 5mm that Ottobre recommended. I did try trimming it down, but it is kind of slippery to cut. Just when I think I'm stocked with my sewing supplies, I find there is something else I need.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you re gathering if you need to be exact... basting is more accurate. This is a gorgeous dress, Shirley!!! I love how the skirt drapes and the bows just top it off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. I just love being able to make appropriate attire for my girls and Ottobre sets a fine example for that in their patterns. I just wish I had more time to sew up all of their dresses. I try though!

      Delete
  3. Very cute Shirley! I love that you make so much for your kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. Sewing for my children makes me very happy! :)

      Delete
  4. such a super cute little dress, and she sure looks happy with it! I love the picture of her kicking up her heels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! I like that pic too. I need a better camera though. I would really like to learn how to take nicer pictures. Something new to focus on LOL.

      Delete
  5. This is so sweet! It's fun to see a different garment made from the fun mustache fabric!

    This pattern is quite similar to the Skater Dress pattern - did you decide to go with this instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! It is similar to the Skater Dress, especially if you sew it up without the outer front bodice which I may do eventually (would be a lot easier and quicker). I showed the 2 dresses to my daughter and she went with this one because of the bows. She is all about the accessories. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!