Saturday, September 21, 2013

Vogue 1247 Skirt

Here is Vogue's 1247 skirt.  This is the best fitting zippered skirt I have ever made. I especially like the unique front pockets.  All seams are encased in a bias binding made from lining fabric.  It is a little extra work and time, however, I love the neatness it creates.


The skirt is a mini, but I am not very tall and did not make any length alteration.  I sewed a very narrow hem.


It did take me a little time (ripping out of stitches--LOL) to get the seam to line up perfectly when I put in my invisible zipper.  I highly recommend basting this first unless you are experienced at lining up seams.  



I am really happy with my fabric choice.  I used a 6.5 oz Kaufman charcoal denim that I purchased through Fabric.com.  It is so light weight and soft against my skin.  I will definitely be making this skirt again in other colors.  I made this in a size 10.

I did attempt the blouse included in this pattern.  However, I did not purchase a good print for the way the shirt was designed.  I got a beautiful geometric fabric, but it was directional.  So, when I assembled the shirt, which has many seams (beautiful design), it made the print look mismatched!  I definitely want to make this top one day.  When I do, I will bring up the neckline as well; it would have been too low on me to wear without another garment underneath.

***

One of my girls had a growth spurt, so now I need to order about 5 yards of various colored fabric to make her some more Crafty Mamas funky pants.  The more you make of one pattern, the easier it becomes to make those "staple" wardrobe items.  I'd really like to find some RTW pants for her, but so far I have had no luck with that.  Everything, to her, is scratchy and uncomfortable.  Thank heavens for cotton spandex fabric. 

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

10 comments:

  1. Love that skirt! I've really been wanting to make one for myself. I'll keep your tips in mind with zipper and the length of the skirt!

    I am right there with you on the whole "it's too scratchy/tight/funny" I don't think my K will ever wear RTW pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I did the zipper 5 times--ugh! How many times till I would consider basting first? LOL Each time though I just knew I had it right. I'm going to try an Ottobre velour pant for my daughter soon. I'd really like to add to the variety of style of pant she wears, but she is really stuck on the one pattern. Thank God for that pattern though.

      Delete
  2. You look fabulous, Shirley!!! The skirt sits beautifully on you and it's the perfect length. Looks great with the grey cardigan and I love the concealed pockets, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pam. I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  3. I've always liked that skirt pattern and have wanted to make it. Love it in denim. This will get a lot of wear! Its looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liza Jane! I love denim too. I have to be careful not to build a whole wardrobe around it!

      Delete
  4. Great looking and well-fitting skirt! Those pockets are so fun and yet not so unique that you couldn't have several skirts in different fabrics.

    It seems mass-producing the same simple pants pattern is the way to go for little people! I make a few cute detailed pairs, and my girls just wear the comfy ones instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I'm already planning a red skirt for myself! I haven't been successful in the past with zippered skirts and how they fit, so I'm really excited about making more!

      Delete
  5. You are amazing! You look great and the sweater is super-cute. Did you make it? Would you be willing to have a tutorial on it also? I'd make one in every color available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sorry to say I did not make the sweater! I wish I had one in every color, but that is all the store had. :( My knitting and crocheting skills are limited, but it's something I want to develop one day. A basic scarf is all I can handle at the moment.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!