Monday, October 7, 2013

Girl's skirt Ottobre 4/2013 #34

This is a great skirt pattern--Tangent velveteen miniskirt!  You'll find this in the April issue of 2013.  My daughter's is made of a light weight denim fabric.  There are only 3 pattern pieces; one front, one back, and the waistband.  There is an invisible zipper on the backside.  It also calls for a snap, but I just used a white button instead.  I don't worry too much about whether to use snaps, buttons, etc.  I try to use what I have on hand to keep the cost down.  As you can see, I did not make this a "mini."   I made this in a 128 with the length of a 140.


The pattern shows using buttons on the front where the pleats are, but I found these cute little flowers in my stash--bonus!  I didn't have to go spend money on buttons.


I also added some black lace to the bottom.  I thought it would be cute since my daughter will be wearing it with her black boots.


The skirt is a little wrinkled after wearing it all day at school.  It passed the comfort test!

The wonderful thing about this skirt is that it takes very little fabric!  I used what was left after making my Vogue skirt.  I finished all seams with my serger, and I finished the bottom edge with my serger as well.  I did not hem it since I sewed the lace on top.

thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

10 comments:

  1. Really cute skirt. I like the lace edging - and even better that meant you didn't have to hem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzie! I try to find shortcuts when I can without compromising the looks of the outfit...especially if they can't be seen! LOL

      Delete
  2. Very cute! It is wonderful when you can use things you already have :D I also love that it is 3 pieces! I'll keep the length in mind asI have this on my long list for K. It is nice to see how cute it is - I may have to move it up a few notches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep, having just a couple of pattern pieces is a huge incentive for me to sew it up. Kids only wear their clothes for a season, so I have realized I want stuff that is quick and easy and save the more complicated for myself. :)

      Delete
  3. Crazy! I have the exact same skirt in the exact same size with the exact same alteration cut out on my table and just barely begun to be sewn. I'm not using an invisible zip though because I didn't have one one hand. I had to take it in quite a bit though after I began putting it together. It's so hard with my skinny minny children to leave the elastic in the waistband behind is tough! Cute skirt - hope mine turns out as well as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Ooops: my blog is abobbinwindingmama.blogspot.com

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your blog name; I'll check it out! I agree about the elastic. I have had a hard time fitting my girls without it. I have realized that size wise, I have to go down for their waist but go with the larger size in length. In RTW clothing, I get the adjustable waist with the elastic, but have to really tighten it a lot!

      Delete
  4. This is super cute! It looks really good in the longer length. I hadn't given the magazine version a second thought, but I can see myself making a version like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I love this blogging world of sewing. I get so much inspiration from others that have made things from patterns that I have passed over...you in particular! I just can't get over that Traveler dress you made--I want one! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!