Saturday, October 19, 2013

Knit Pajamas

Here are a pair of knit pajamas I made for one of my girls yesterday.  It is getting cooler now with winter approaching, so it was a good time to make something new.


I looked through my fabric stash and found two coordinating fabrics that she liked.  The color blocking of the top was not intentional, but merely a way of trying to get all the pieces cut out of what I had!  Even with all the sewing I do, it amazes me at how much fabric some things really require to make.

The top is made from Ottobre's "Becky" camisole (6/2009).  I love this pattern.  I made the nightgown version before.  I HIGHLY recommend this pattern, especially if you are new to making Ottobre patterns.  It is pretty easy to trace and sews up quickly without any difficulty.  

I added short sleeves, and instead of hemming them, I added a strip of green knit.  I cut these at 2 inches, the same as the neckband, folding wrong sides together and sewing to the garment.  For the short sleeves, I snagged one from another pattern and with a little tweaking, made a minor adjustment in the pattern to fit.  Why draw one from scratch when you can borrow from another?

I topstitched the neck band using a longer stitch around 4.  I was always so reluctant to do this in the past, but it works just fine and the fabric is still stretchy.


I hemmed the top with my sewing machine's double needle.  I do have a coverstitch machine, however, when there are multiple seams to sew over, this often results in skipped stitches.  If anyone knows how to avoid this, please tell me how!!  I have tried going slowly, going faster, etc.  Sometimes it doesn't skip and sometimes it does and I just don't know why.
I also added a green knit band to the bottom of the pants, cut at 3 inches.

I first thought about making elastic-waist pajamas but quickly dismissed that idea.  The funky pant, yoga waistband style works well for her, so I stayed with that.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


10 comments:

  1. I often under-estimate how much fabric I need for a project. Great job combining the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! It took nearly 2 yards of fabric to get this all done! Crazy! When you hold that much fabric up to you, you would think so much more would come out of it, but just tiny scraps are left. LOL

      Delete
  2. I love how you combined the fabrics! It looks so cute and comfy. I think I might have that issue; I'll have to look because I'd love to make these for K.
    It's getting cooler here too. What a fun way to bring in the cold for your DD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunny! The girls have a pajama day coming up at school soon, so these pjs are going to be great for that as well. I'm in the process of figuring out fabric for a minecraft jacket for my son...you really inspired me!

      Delete
    2. hahaha. Good luck with the fabric hunt. I think that was the biggest hurdle of all. although someone posted on my post that JoAnn's had black sweatshirt fabric?

      Delete
    3. I got some fleece thru fabric.com. I found sweatshirt fabric in black, but couldn't find any in lime green, so I just went with the fleece. I can't wait to make this!! I'm keeping it a secret from my son, which is so hard cause I am so excited about it. I don't have the Ottobre issue that you used, but I found a similar jacket in another issue that will work too. I think I'll put the creeper on the backside so I don't have to work around the zipper. I'm not sure how you did that! I may put little ones on the front or something.

      Delete
  3. Cute jammies - with the colorblocking, I think these could pass as a regular outfit!

    What coverstitch machine do you have? Mine (a Brother 2340CV) rarely skips stitches, so I can't say I have good advice for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I have a Janome 900CPX. The more expensive Janome probably doesn't skip stitches! LOL Oh well. It's managable.

      Delete
  4. They are very cute pyjamas! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!