Thursday, October 3, 2013

Ottobre Timeless & Cozy 5-2012

I had 2 yards of this soft jersey knit that I bought a while ago.  I'm not sure what I had in mind when I bought it, but whatever it was, I forgot.  So, I opted for something fast and simple--Timeless & Cozy Ottobre pattern.  I made this once before, which you can see here.  


I decided to put a cowl neck on it.  I wasn't thinking how wide the neck opening was, so my cowl fell somewhere between a cowl and a turtle neck.  Oh well.  


Instead of using clear elastic at the bottom, I sewed 1/4 inch braided elastic to the bottom, which stretches so much easier.  I then just flipped it to the inside once more and zigzagged it down again.



My first attempt at this dress, I found the sleeves to be rather snug.  This time I referred to my book "Fit for Real People" and followed their instructions for widening a sleeve.  It was pretty quick and easy...just a horizontal and vertical slash and spread.  I spread my sleeve 1/2 inch.


Also I want to mention that I have read where people use cardboard on a table when altering patterns so they can stick pins in the pattern while adjusting.  Since I am up in the attic where our dartboard is, we have a mat to protect our floor from darts that may not make their mark.  I have found that this mat is wonderful for laying out slippery fabrics and also for pinning patterns to.  It was an inexpensive addition to our attic which has become quite useful to me with my sewing ventures.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley



12 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! and I love those boots!! Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! I love boots; they are my favorite type of shoes!

      Delete
  2. That looks so cozy! I had a tunic similar to that but I donated it because the fabric had a smidge of wool and I couldn't stand wearing it! Yours makes me want to try again with nicer fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! you make this look so much better than the magazine picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I almost didn't make it the first time because it didn't seem to have much to offer based on the magazine pic. However, I couldn't resist the thought of a simple pattern by Ottobre and hoped for the best. I really like it!

      Delete
  4. This, and you in it, look terrific! This is like the perfect winter dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks fabulous with the boots, Shirley!!! I think this would make a great top over skinny jeans, too, if shortened a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, Iove it; it looks so cozy. And I especially like your altered neck - it really complements the whole look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I'm trying to find quick and easy and comfy things for the winter. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!