Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Getting Crafty with Minecraft


Ottobre Hooded Sweat Jacket #32
4/2008
Size 152

Here is my son's "Minecraft" hooded jacket!  He is a huge fan of Minecraft.  I was inspired by Kristin over at Sunny Sewing when she made her son one using an Ottobre pattern.  



I purchased all materials through Fabric.com.  I love this fleece.  It is called Winter fleece Micro Chamois.  I used Pellon stick-n-tear for the stabilizer when I appliqued the Creeper face to the jacket.  I had to be really careful not to scorch the fabric.  It was a little tricky to hold the iron long enough to get the Creepers to stick without overdoing it.  I used Heatnbond Lite for the iron on adhesive.  I used a 22" sport separating zipper, which was really easy to sew on.  The only thing that gave me difficulty with this jacket was making the welt pockets.  I practiced on scrap fabric first and STILL made a mistake on my second pocket.  Thank goodness I had just enough green to cut out another front side!  I put the pocket on where it opened to the wrong side--how on earth did I do that?  I even checked before sewing, but obviously was confused.  


I made the jacket a little big so he can be sure to wear it next year!  



I kept the Creeper low enough on the jacket to not be covered up by the hood.


It is so nice to use ribbing for the arm cuffs and bottom hemband.  It makes sewing up a jacket so quick (once I got past the welt pockets that is). The hood doesn't cover up his face, he is just looking down.  The only thing I did not do that was part of the instructions was to include elastic in the hood.  



Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. OMG Shirley Ann!!! I LOVE IT! This is so awesome. Makes me want to make another one! lol. DD wants one too so I think I'll steal your idea for hers! I really love the little one on the front chest. so cute :D The fit looks excellent and I'm sure you got major mom points for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did get points...ha ha! My girls now both want some kind of coat too. I feel like I can't get things made fast enough in my house!

      Delete
  2. NICE!!!! My son would love that too! My long term plan is to do a quilt, but I bet he would be more excited with something he can wear! You did a great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! My son is soooo happy with this. He told me thank you again today for making it for him. He said it is the coolest thing I have made for him so far. :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome! I bet he loves it. The kids talk about minecraft all the time at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! My son loves it! He said all of his friends do too. Now they don't even ask if his mom made it. They pretty much know now when he wears something unique or different, I've been at my sewing machine again!

      Delete
  4. I have to admit I had to Google 'Minecraft'... showing my age I think... LOL!!! It's a great looking jacket. Love the green with the darker hood and cuffs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, if it weren't for my son, I'd have no idea what Minecraft is either! Honestly, I'm not exactly sure all what it is still. It's a little beyond me with today's technology. It seems like not long ago my husband and I bought our first computer. My kids get on them like it's nothing and click away with the mouse and do things I don't know how to do or even want to do. LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!