Friday, November 1, 2013

Johanna Coat

I'm so excited about my new coat!  This is a Farbenmix pattern, the Damenmantel Johanna.  I bought this pattern last year and it took me a while to decide what fabrics to use and how to make it.  The instructions are written in German; however, you can go to the Farbenmix website and see a summarized version of instructions and photos of how to assemble the coat.  It is minimal, so you do need to have some sewing knowledge under your belt.  


I chose to make my coat in a brown wool blend with a dark brown flannel lining.  This coat is so warm it is like putting on a blanket!  I did take the wool fabric to the dry cleaners before I made this.  I didn't want to risk it shrinking later.  

It took 3 yards of wool, as well as 3 yards of flannel to make this.  That was really cutting it close...pun intended.  You can make this without a lining if you use a fabric that does not fray.  The instructions are to assemble this coat leaving visible seams.  Since I chose wool, I couldn't do this.  I wasn't sure if I would like having my seams visible anyway.  I may try that in the future if I find a fabric that I like.

I kept the sleeve lining longer than the outside wool shell so I could fold it over onto the sleeve, creating a cuff.  

I got a little creative and came up with my own pocket flap.  When I ordered my buttons, I did not initially plan on using them on the pockets.  That is why the coat is missing 2 buttons at the moment (bottom button and very top button).


I purchased my fabrics and notions from Fabric.com.  Total cost for this coat was $40 (the wool was on sale).  It was definitely one of my more expensive sewing projects.  


I am very happy with the fit.  I made this in a size small (34/36), with no alterations.  I topstitched all the seams flat except for one underarm seam.  Since it was the last seam, it wasn't possible to sew it.  The facing took me the longest to do.  Some was sewn by machine and the outer neck area I stitched by hand.  I used my walking foot for all my sewing.  I find that I am using that foot more and more.  It is extremely helpful with sewing knits and heavy fabrics.




Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

16 comments:

  1. Love, love, love your new coat, Shirley!!! The darker brown contrast on the collar, cuffs and pockets is just perfect. Such a difficult garment to sew and you have made it look like it has been professionally sewn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pam, thank you so much for the compliments! I worked so hard on this and I'm very proud of it. I think it's the best work I have done to date. Sewing is so much fun and I just want to get better and better at it!

      Delete
    2. Hi Shirley, I've featured your coat today...

      Delete
  2. I also love your coat! It is perfect for fall/winter. It looks so warm and sewn so lovely! congrats :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sunny! I made it just in time. Today was the first really cold day for us. Now it is time to make the Minecraft jacket for my son!

      Delete
  3. visiting you via Threading my way. This is stunning and so well taylored. I am impressed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  4. As a novice I could never attempt something like this and I recognize your skill ...what talent you have ; it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your coat! My Johanna is in progress.........
    LG
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine! I look forward to seeing your coat too!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I'm really enjoying wearing it. I told my husband I was never a "coat" person, but now that I have made one, I can see myself making more.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!