Friday, November 15, 2013

Ottobre Relajarse Skirt with Tellervo Top

Relajarse Miniskirt 
3/2013
Size 134 with added length

Tellervo Jersey
1/2009
Size 128 cropped to shirt length

Fabric purchased from Fabric.com


 It is a mini like it says, and even with the added length, I could have gone another inch which would have been better I think.  Next time I will.  I traced this out in a size 134 but did not add seam allowances except for the top that attaches to the waistband and also pockets except for outer curve.  My girls are both a 128 in the waist, and the smallest size in this skirt is a 134.  Elastic also goes in the waistband, which makes it a perfect fit.  


I interfaced the pockets.  I don't know if you can tell with the photo, but there is a rivet on the outer edge of the pocket.  If you haven't installed a rivet before, they are very quick and easy to do.  I use a nail and a block of wood.  I hammer the nail threw the fabric, and before I remove the nail, put the bottom piece of the rivet at the tip of the nail and push it up through the fabric, pushing the nail out.  If you don't do this, it's really easy to loose that hole after you remove the nail.  Then you use a tool to press the top of the rivet onto the bottom.  It really adds such a nice professional finish.


The leggings are RTW.  Sometimes I think I need to start making leggings too, but they are pretty cheap to buy from Old Navy when they go on sale.


For the top stitching, I found a nice decorative stitch that makes a zigzag with a straight stitch on both sides.  I also used my walking foot since the fabric is a little thick.


I doubled up on the knit trim on the side of the skirt.  There is a considerable difference in fabric weight and I felt it would be too flimsy.  I did not feed the drawstring through the waistband of the skirt.  With there being elastic, I didn't see the need.  I made a bow and tacked it to the front of the waistband.

I'm definitely mommy sizing this one for me!  It will be great having this skirt for cold winter days!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

10 comments:

  1. Cute as always! Perfect for those wild tights they sell at H&M!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Kelly! I'll have to check out H&M. I need to go to the tea store outside of the mall soon anyway. We just bought some tights at Takko, but they didn't have much to choose from.

      Delete
  2. Great skirt! I love the topstitching. Can't wait to see you mommy-size it :D looks so fun and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I cut mine out today, along with one for my other daughter. I thought maybe sewing them together will go a little faster and keep me from getting bored sewing the same thing 3 times!

      Delete
  3. Love the whole outfit, Shirley!!! Great idea to add the same fabric as the top, to the sides of the skirt, the back pockets and the tie. The topstitching looks great, too. I'm planning a post on skirt lengths, with some mini skirts from the 60s and 70s... now they were mini!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I'm looking forward to reading your post about skirt lengths. I have a retro pattern I've been thinking about making for myself from that time period. I was born in 67 so I didn't wear it but my aunts all did. I love looking at the pics of them in the trendy short dresses with the high calf boots. My aunt is supposed to send me a picture of her when she was a carhop!

      Delete
  4. It's a cute skirt and, with the leggings, looks like it will make a nice cozy winter outfit that's more fun than just pants. I really should make some for my younger 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I was really surprised at how quick and easy this skirt went together. It makes me want to make more for them, but there are so many outfits I want to try.

      Delete
  5. Cute outfit. Thanks so much for sharing with Wednesday's Adorned Link Party. Have a great Thanksgiving.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!