Saturday, November 30, 2013

The Querida with a touch of Sparkle!

Farbenmix pattern Querida
Size 134/140

Here is one of my girls' new coats!  I have been working on this little project for a couple of weeks--a lot of time, effort, and love went into this.  She is a huge fan of My Little Pony, and a while back asked if I could make her a coat with Twilight Sparkle on it.  I forgot how much I enjoyed doing applique.  


I used anti pill fleece, lined with flannel, and also some Insul-Bright which is an insulated lining that I sandwiched between the fleece and flannel.  I did not put the Insul-Bright in the sleeves, only the body part of the coat.  This coat is so warm! 


Who doesn't love a HUGE pom pom on their hood! :)  I lined the hood with fleece as well.


Twilight Sparkle in her beautiful gown with matching shoes.  I made her out of pieces of felt, putting her together like a puzzle!  Then I had my daughter sit beside me at the sewing machine, guiding me as I did the inside stitch details.  The eyes were definitely the tricky part of this applique since they are made up of a few different layers.  I am very pleased how this turned out.  



Pockets are sewn into the side seams of the coat.  My sewing machine has monogram capability.


Got to have the cutie mark!

I really like this coat pattern.  Pattern instructions are in German, but you can go to their site and see a brief summary on how to assemble the coat.  First I use Google Translate and translate the pattern pieces to English, writing it on the pattern for reference.

My next project is a puppy-themed Querida.  After that, I am in desperate need of some jeans for myself.  Time to pull out the Jalie jean pattern!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley




11 comments:

  1. MLP!!!!! This is awesome Shirley!!! Totally awesome! Does the insul-bright make noise in there? It's kind of crinkly in my pot holders... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! Yes, it is a little crinkly sounding, but I thought maybe with wear it would work itself out? Maybe not? LOL It is nice and warm though. At first I thought, uh oh, should I have not used this? But then I read online that it can be used to line warm apparel.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, it's fantastic! The applique is just amazing. Love the giant pom pom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! My daughter is so excited about her Twilight Sparkle coat; she can't wait to wear it to school on Monday. Makes me feel like I hit the ball out of the ballpark on this project for her!

      Delete
  3. omg how cute! this is fantastic! I love the applique and the pom is especially cute! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin! It was my girls' idea to get those big pom poms and I'm so glad they did. I find more and more that their ideas are working out really well.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I'm going to try to do a lot more applique on the girls' clothes now; I forgot how much fun it is. I think it would be cute to applique on denim skirts when I get a chance.

      Delete
  5. Great job on the My Little Pony applique, Shirley. It's so detailed and looks fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing with Adorned From Above’s Link Party. Have a great week.
    Debi and Charly @ Adorned From Above
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!