Saturday, February 8, 2014

A Girly Tie

My girls have decided for some reason that they would like to accessorize with a tie.  This started at Christmas after seeing my husband put on a tie for a holiday party we went to.  They were so intrigued with how he tied it!  After one lesson, one of my girls became a master at it!  Her sister is always asking her to help her tie her tie, which has forced me to reluctantly learn how to do it as well. LOL  

As cute as it was to see my girls trying to wear their father's ties, I decided enough was enough and started looking for a pattern where I could make a girly tie, something more appropriate for them to wear.  I found this great boy's tie tutorial here.  I did deviate from the pattern.  I did not cut the fabric on the bias, since that would take up too much of my fabric scrap.  This is purely a project for fun, something that is just a passing fancy for them, so the cheapest, quickest, and easiest way for me to accomplish this was my goal!

I cut the underside tie fabric out of the same fabric, sewing right sides together.  I used fusible interfacing that was light weight too.  These really sewed up quickly.


  






I used fold over elastic on the backside as a way to secure the tie ends together.

***

My Husband:  "Maybe I should have you make me some ties."  I wonder if there is a pattern out there for men's ties?  I haven't ever bought my husband a tie, but I imagine they could be made cheaper and they really aren't that difficult.

***

My girls are all about wanting a "school girl-type" uniform.  They want the pleated plaid skirts with a collared shirt, etc.  Fantastic!  I just ordered some fabrics to help put this together for them. :)  My sewing to-do list continues to get longer and longer!



Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley



6 comments:

  1. These turned out super cute! Yeas, there is a pattern for men's but then you have to cut it on the bias. Wink! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! Good to know about the men's pattern--on the bias--eek! Good fabric cut on the bias = more money I would have to spend! LOL

      Delete
  2. The phase may last longer than you think, Shirley. As a young teenager, I went through a phase of wearing a tie. It was made from the same fabric as the blouse I wore it with. My Mum made it for me and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know Pam! I'm glad to hear this is a resurfacing fashion trend too! I never wore tires growing up, but I do remember small lengthy ribbons/ties that would be tied into a bow around my collared shirts; I remember liking that style and also had vests to match. That was early 80s for me.

      Delete
  3. I think this is such a cute idea. I love the creativeness your girls have - and you for fostering it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! The challenging part now is my girls are always asking me, "can you make this?"

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!