Thursday, February 20, 2014

DIY Boy's Athletic Jersey

Here is a athletic jersey I made for my son!  I bought this fabric hoping I would find a pattern that would be suitable.  Then it occurred to me that I already had one--my football jersey!  


I didn't make the shirt underneath.



What I did was pin each section of the jersey to tracing paper.  I then pulled back the jersey to the point of the pins and traced along with a pencil.  Since it needed to be smaller, I put my pins on the inside of the seams and did not add seam allowances.


 This is what my pattern pieces looked like.  I measured the neck opening and used a 2.25" jersey knit for the band.  I did NOT stretch it like I would sewing a stretch knit fabric even though my athletic mesh is stretchy.  I tried it on scrap first and it looked all bunched up.  

Amazingly, this was really easy to do and sewed up quickly.  


 I also made a pair of Ottobre Hi-hat pants (4/08 #33)


My son chose the buttons and top stitching thread.  He chose very well!

This outfit cost just under $30 to make and purchased from Fabric.com.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


8 comments:

  1. The shirt turned out perfect and so did the pants! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I'm really happy with it. I think I get even more excited if I am able to create something without the pattern than with. I'm enjoying the challenge!

      Delete
  2. Great job making your own pattern, Shirley. I find it so hard to trace around existing garments to make a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! This is the 3rd time I have made something from tracing a pattern. I looked at the seams first and noticed how there were very few and very squared. I don't think I would attempt something that had to be fitted or with a zipper!

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed! I have no luck tracing patterns. This top turned out perfect! The pants are cute too! Those pockets are killer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I've only traced a couple, and I stick to things that are really easy. Those pockets are so much work! I had to look back at Joy's tutorial again to make them. The buttons take forever since there are 9 of them. His last pants I made, the buttons kept coming off, so I really had to make sure I sewed them well this time.

      Delete
  4. The jersey turned out well! I frequently compare pieces of patterns to already made garments, but haven't actually traced a full pattern yet.

    And the pants are great! So many details. Oh, I made those pants ages ago, so you brought back fun memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I had to refer to your cargo pocket tutorial to get these pants made. I did the last time too, but couldn't remember how I did it cause it has been over a year now.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!