Sunday, February 16, 2014

Two Quilt Blocks

I have completed 2 more squares for my son's American Ships Quilt!  I made myself a New Year's Resolution to try and complete two blocks a month.  I'm obviously behind here.    I read where the backside should be as neat as the front, so I won't be showing that side to you!  However, I am getting better with each new block I complete.  All in all, I am happy with my work.  I didn't learn to sew in one project, so I know that my embroidery skills will develop over time.  I certainly chose a large enough project to learn on!


Compass

When I pulled out the compass drawing to trace, I was so happy to see that the quilt is made of of several compasses...I think 8.  These are definitely easier to embroider and will go quicker than the ships.


17th Century French

I gave the fabric a good pressing, but my hoop lines are still visible.  I guess because it was in the hoop for a long while.  I hope these lines will come out.

*** 

I had some excitement this weekend!  I won a pattern from Zoe at "So, Zo...What do you know?" blog.  It is a 1940s Tea Dress pattern by Sew Over It.  I first saw this on Zoe's blog when she made it; it was absolutely gorgeous.  I really want to get more into sewing vintage-style garments.  I particularly love the feminine style of the clothing from that era.  

***

I am currently working on another pair of cargo pocket pants for my son--this time in brown.  I bought more velour fabric to make one of my girls more winter pants.  My other daughter has put in a request for a dress jumper.  Ottobre has a really cute one.  My girls have put little colored tabs all throughout my Ottobre magazines of what they would like me to make.  Most is not what I would have picked out for them--interesting.  Before I make anything from now on, I will definitely check with them first since their tastes are becoming their own.

I've been busy crocheting up hats for the winter.  I absolutely love to crochet!  So, I'm switching back and forth between many crafts. :)


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful ships, it looks like a lot of work.
    Congrats on winning the pattern! I certainly look forward to seeing it made up :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! It is soooo much work, but I know once it is all done, I'll be really glad that I did it. It's hard to stay motivated with it being such a big, time consuming project!

      Delete
  2. Those are AMAZING!!! You weren't kidding about it being a big project! Congrats in the pattern. I like So Zoe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I am going to be starting a 1600 quilt soon! I got my Civil War jelly roll I wanted. Just what I need to do, start another quilt in the process of working on this one! It will be so much quicker though, so I can't resist.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha... I love how your kids have marked the patterns they want you to make. Your embroidery is BEAUTIFUL, Shirley!!! You have certainly chosen a large project. Congrats on the pattern win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I'm self taught with embroidery, prompted by this quilt! I wish I knew someone close by to tutor me on it and let me know how to do it better. I just hope all my stitches stay put!

      Delete
  4. That quilt looks like its going to be very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! My son loves nautical stuff, so I hope my husband can make a nautical quilt hanger to hang it on when I am finished.

      Delete
  5. Very cool! I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will love it even more once it is done! LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!