Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Ottobre Summer Basic Top with Maritime Shorts

Ottobre Woman 2/2013
#2 Summer Basic
Size 36
alteration:  Removed 3 inches from bottom

Grainline Maritime Shorts
Size 2
alteration:  Removed 1/2 inch from CB seam



This is my second pair of shorts; my first was in my last post.  I decided to change the pockets on this version, which I love.  I have a pair of RTW shorts that I purchased from Old Navy many years ago, and I really like the style of pockets on them (no lining needed).  I traced over those pockets, making new pattern pieces for my Maritime.

These shorts are perfect.  I love the fit and where the waistband sits on my waist.  You can change up the pockets and create so many different looks with this pattern.  I topstitched these like you would jeans.  I already am planning 2 more pairs in denim.


The summer basic t-shirt by Ottobre is a very easy and quick pattern to sew up.   This would be a great pattern to start with if you are new to tracing and sewing Ottobre patterns.   In the past I have always used size 36 for my tops and dresses, but this blouse has such a wide neckline (LOVE) that it probably would have fit better if I had gone one size down.  I will definitely be tracing out this pattern again in that size.  After putting on my top, it was way too long, so I took it off and removed another 3 inches.  This was after I had already hemmed it.  Oh well.  I just used my rotary cutter and rehemmed it with my coverstitch machine.  One thing that I like to do that makes hemming a breeze, is to always put some knit interfacing at the hemline.  Last Christmas I bought a bolt of knit interfacing when it was on sale.  Now I just cut inch strips to hem my knit tops.  It really makes it lay nice and neat while hemming.


After posting these pictures, I unpicked my CB topstitching and took the seam in more, removing the little excess fabric at the lower back bottom.  NOW, I have that perfect fit I was going for.  I guess it takes some time, but wow, once you have a pattern just right, it is so worth it.  Now I can really go to town making me all colors of shorts for summer!




My shorts are made from micro brushed twill khaki green, purchased from Fabric.com for $4.49 a yard!  I love picking up fabric on sale. I bought 4 yards so I can make my son another pair of pants and probably a skirt for myself.  Since these shorts only take a yard, that makes them very affordable to sew.  I did have to purchase a zipper and buttons, but that was just a couple dollars more.  The knit fabric was from my stash from a while ago, but I believe it was a yard I had picked up from Girl Charlee on sale too.  It sat in my stash because it was only a yard and it never really matched anything...until this green khaki I bought.  Don't you love when that unexpected fabric color match happens?

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley



17 comments:

  1. A match made in heaven! You are really whipping through some summer makes Shirley! These look great and I love all the details on those shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin. I know, I'm having fun with summer sewing. It is so much more fun to sew with colorful, light weight fabrics than darker colors for winter. I'm also enjoying sewing more for me right now. I love sewing for my kids, but they have so much now that I have made and I have very few things for the summer, so I am treating myself to my own sewing for a while! LOL

      Delete
    2. Summer sewing is so much better! I am in the same boat, I just re-organized the kids drawers and can't believe the amount of tees they have. It's embarrassing! on the other hand, I have hardly any summer attire.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I can't believe the weather we are having! In the 70s today but down to the 40s on Saturday--crazy!

      Delete
  3. Tshirt and shorts perfect for summer. Love the wide neckline of the tshirt and the back pockets on your shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am really like the knit top I made too. I especially like how little fabric it takes up. So many tops require 2+ yards of fabric and this one is less than 1 yard, so it makes for an inexpensive project!

      Delete
  4. That is a great outfit for summer, it looks so comfy and cool too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I love that with shorts, there are endless fabric and color options. It's not a whole lot of fabric, so I can get brave with some bolder prints which I almost never do!

      Delete
  5. That's a lovely outfit and you are so trim - wish it was warm enough here in the UK for shorts! Hopped over from SewManyWays linky :)

    http://asaucystitch.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/my-new-vintage-crush.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the lovely compliment and visiting my blog as well! We have been blessed with a few warm days so I am taking advantage of summer sewing!

      Delete
  6. So cute. I love the colors. Great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! This shorts pattern is so awesome that it is inspiring me to make them in many colors!

      Delete
  7. Ok, I think we have the same old Old Navy shorts, ha! I copied the pockets onto a pair of shorts last summer. The trick is finding a shorts pattern that suits you - and it looks like you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great to copy RTW clothing! Now when I am out shopping, I look at clothing more on the inside to see how it is made. I'll actually buy clothing I like if I think I can duplicate it.

      Delete
  8. The pockets are a great addition, Shirley. It saves so much time when you get a pattern that fits and looks good as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I still have a couple more to make to give me enough for a week's worth for summer!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!