Monday, March 10, 2014

Renfrew Top with Maritime Shorts

I finally got my Sewaholic Renfrew Top pattern!  My favorite feature of this pattern is the neckline; I really do think it is the perfect shape.  I also like the sleeve and bottom hem bands, but probably will just lengthen those areas if I am not color-blocking my shirt.  It does make for an easy sew though.


My shirt is a little snug; the knit I used is not very stretchy.  I should have thought about this and gone up a size.  Oh well.

I actually made up these shorts a little over a week ago.  I have worn them a couple of times and LOVE them.  To get my perfect fit, I did make a muslin first which I almost never do.  I noticed a gap at the back waist, which was easy to fix.  I took about 1/2 inch off the center back.  I also added 1 inch to the length of the shorts.  I know I could probably go down one size in the leg area, but I like the fit how they are--comfy! I made them from a linen blend that I purchased from Fabric.com last summer.




Pockets on the front.


Pockets on the back.


I covered a button in the same fabric. I didn't have a button on hand that would match.  I also made a blind hem so my stitches wouldn't be as obvious.

These shorts are so comfortable I will just wear them around the house instead of changing into my "comfy" clothes once home! LOL

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


12 comments:

  1. OOOh! I really like those shorts Shirley! They have been on my "to make" list forever. I hope to make them this summer. They look great in fit too!
    Happy to see your renfrew - it looks great! (another pattern I hope to sew sometime!) I'm a bit jealous that you have no snow though.... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, these shorts are an awesome pattern! I just realized they are almost identical to the fit of a pair of shorts I bought at Old Navy years ago that I haven't been able to replace. That gave me the idea of duplicating the pockets on the Maritime pattern! Our kids have been so disappointed to not have snow like everywhere else. However, it's been good for me and my husband--no complaints! LOL

      Delete
  2. You look fabulous, Shirley!!! The black and white top with the red shorts is a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I originally bought the red linen blend with a dress in mind, but felt it was a little on the stiff side. I'm so glad I made shorts out of it instead! Of course, now my girls get red shorts too with all the fabric I have left. ha ha

      Delete
  3. You look great Shirley! You look like you are feeling good. I hope you are! I love the shorts. Shorts are on my 'to sew' list for this summer. Love the red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liza Jane! I am feeling good :) When I first started going through chemo, I would read how people were asking how fast the hair would grow back, so I think it is nice to have blog photos to document that growth for others who are pondering the same thing. It is really healthy, but a lot of gray. So I keep debating on coloring it, but then I might sacrifice the softness. What to do!? LOL

      Delete
  4. Great looking shorts! And shirt, too - I'm sure you'll get a lot of use out of the pattern as I keep hearing good reviews of it. (I'm pretending I'm not jealous you're wearing shorts...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! Don't be jealous, it's back to be cold again! Strange weather. I had the windows open the other day I was so warm, and now I am back to wearing my wool coat. :(

      Delete
  5. Love the shirt and the shorts! My pattern hasn't gotten here yet, but I look forward to getting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I've already cut out a second pair of shorts to start sewing on tomorrow, but I changed up the pattern a little to do square pockets on the back with a flap and also changed the pockets on the front. I figured since the fit is great, now I can do other things to make them look different. Oh, and thanks for your help with the paint the other day! The shirt turned out great!

      Delete
  6. Those shorts look brilliant! and I'm sure they'll get lots of wear during your summer. I LOVE the colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I'm already making a second pair now. I feel like a kid making me short sets for summer. :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!