Sunday, March 2, 2014

T-Shirt with Lace Sleeves

About a month ago, one of my girls asked if I could make her a t-shirt with lace sleeves.  She had seen one online at a retail store.  I used Ottobre's Tellervo t-shirt pattern from  the 1/09 issue.  I cut the sleeves and added seam allowances.  I also cut the t-shirt body and added seam allowances as well.


I used French seams for the sleeves since the lace is sheer and I wanted a neat finish.  This meant setting the sleeves in after the shirt was constructed.  I also added a black knit cuff at the wrist to protect the lace better.  The lace has tiny black hearts on it.


I covered her Miche bag with a remnant of the t-shirt fabric.


Ruffle knit was an easy addition to the shirt and a bonus of not having to do a hem!


It is so much fun to deviate from a pattern and make something all your own!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

16 comments:

  1. She has great fashion sense! I love this mash up :)
    I just noticed you covered her purse too! How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! She really likes it. Miche bags are fun because you can buy different covers for them which have magnets inside them that just attach the cover to the outside of the purse. But it is really easy to cover them with fabric to match an outfit too. I have a larger one and do the same thing! I love buying them, but in between that, I make some too.

      Delete
  2. Your daughter must be thrilled, Shirley!!! The lace is a lovely addition and the purse covered with the t-shirting is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I can see the appeal in designing patterns. It really is fun to just sit on the floor and spread out the materials and figure out how to put them together. I want to do more of this!

      Delete
  3. Wow! That's one stylish little girl! I love what you make for your kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I keep trying to fine tune my sewing to their individual style tastes. If only I could figure out my own! LOL

      Delete
  4. Love the lace sleeves. So chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane--that's what I was hoping to achieve!

      Delete
  5. This looks very designer. Isn't it awesome when they ask you to make something instead of asking to buy something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzie! Yes, but they are asking all the time now! LOL This started with..."Can you make me this t-shirt now because it will be quick and easy for you." Oh my!

      Delete
  6. That is so clever and absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your daughter is so lucky to have a mother who can sew as well as you do. I was blessed with one also, but my poor daughter not so much! LOL! I tried making her a skirt once and it was such a disaster, but she wore it anyway. It was made with love, I guess that's what matters most! :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brandi! Actually, up until about 2 years ago, I had never even sew knits! I bought the Sewing Modkid Style book and learned the basics. There are some really great and easy patterns to learn with in it. I have sewn for years, but never knew where to begin with a knit. Keep trying!! I have had many disasters in my years of sewing :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!