Wednesday, April 30, 2014

McCall's 6744


McCall's 6744
View C
Size Small

Alterations:  Removed 3" off the length of the skirt
Fabric Used:  Rayon Jersey Knit from Fabric.com


On the front of the pattern it has an "Easy" notation and it is!  This is a fabulous pattern.  I had a feeling it would turn out well, so I traced it with my Swedish Tracing pattern paper.  I just knew I would be making this again and I will!


There is elastic in the shoulder seams, as well as the waist.  Casings are made of the seam allowances.


Narrow hems are made in the armhole openings, neckline area, and front skirt areas.  Before doing my narrow hems, I fused some woven interfacing along the edges which made it so much easier to sew without stretching the fabric any.




Instead of a narrow hem at the bottom, I turned up 1 inch and used my coverstitch machine.  I have found that narrow hems at the bottom seem to flip up a little after washing.  An inch hem seems to behave better.



I have layered a thin white camisole top underneath.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

12 comments:

  1. Super cute! Now if the weather will just cooperate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Looks like we are in for a lot of rain!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for mentioning about the interfacing in the hem. That's the second time today that I've read that. Now to remember that tip when I need it further down the track. Looks very comfy... one of those dresses you'd like to wear every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I just use my rotary cutter and trim off the interfacing. It helps to stabilize your hem so it doesn't get wavy. Once I did it on the armholes not thinking I needed the stretch there still! Oops. Trial and error.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Pam!! I was just visiting some of the sites you featured! Everyone has such great ideas. There isn't enough hours in the day to sew!

      Delete
  3. So darling! Wish I was a better seamstress! Ahh! Then I could do so much more...if only there was more time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! I agree, I wish there was more time. It seems with sewing, there is an endless amount of information to learn. That is why I love it so much though. I never tire of it.

      Delete
  4. Oh this is so pretty! It looks comfortable and easy to wear/wash too (exactly what you need for hanging out with the kids). I love the fabric - I actually almost bought some like this recently on fabric.com; now I wish I would have!! What a great summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really like the jersey with a rayon blend. At least now I know what to look for. It is so hard when I have to do most of my ordering online. This dress is so simple to make, so I should make more, right? LOL

      Delete
    2. You should! :) When you find a great pattern - make tons! lol
      I like rayon jersey's too because they are soft with a nice drape; but I've had some pill on me in the dryer so I am cautious now :(

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the tip about the pilling! Utilities are very high where we live, so we line dry everything almost. However, I'm sure once we are back in the states I'll be using a dryer more, so I'll try and remember that about the rayon jersey!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!