Friday, April 18, 2014

New Look 6095


New Look Pattern No. 6095
Size 10
Fabrics from Girl Charlee



I really like my new dress!  I added to the pattern sleeve with a strip of coordinating fabric.  I think I cut it about 2.5 inches wide by the length of the base of the sleeve.  I then folded it wrong sides together, and  sewed it to the sleeve with my serger--easy hem!



I liked how view D had a shortened version of the dress with an added contrast band.  Instead of using a ribbon trim as the pattern would have you do, I cut a strip of coordinating fabric to sew between the dress and the band.  If you make this in a stripe, you will loose them at the bust darts, but then they come together further down.


I like the shaping the back darts give and this was easy to do with the stripes.

I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating it was to try and match these stripes with the installation of the zipper!!  I used an invisible zipper instead too.  They are just so much easier to put in.  Anyway, since I did an invisible zip, I had to finish off the neckline a little differently.  In doing so, I forgot that I hadn't "secured" the top of my zipper after I cut off some of the length.  Up went the zipper and off came the metal slide.  And this was after spending A LOT of time getting it in where the stripes matched up to the best of my ability.  Then I had to rip out that zipper and do it all over again.  Not one of my best moments.  LOL  A big lesson learned.  The stripes match up pretty good.  It isn't perfect, but it is close enough where I am happy with it.


I just love red, white, and blue together!


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. Ah, those darn zippers. Nothing frustrates me more than when I spend so much time with them only to pull it off the line :( boo. LOL. Your recovery was great though because this looks like a fun summer dress. It is very nautical and makes me want to be on the beach! and Yay for easy hems!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I have to say that when I broke the zipper, I had thought about just tossing the dress because I was so mad at myself! Then I calmed down, ate some lunch, and then I could refocus. I should have stopped and ate when I was hungry instead of doing one more thing! LOL

      Delete
  2. ACK!!!! The cuteness is overwhelming! I LOVE this! I'm still into nautical and RWB so I'm really digging this! That's pretty good matching for having to redo the zipper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! Your comments make me feel like I really hit a home run--thanks! Now I have a dress for the 4th of July too! :)

      Delete
  3. You must never sleep, Shirley. You finish so many articles of clothing. You've done an amazing job matching the stripes!!! Love the stripes and polka dots together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do Pam, I promise! :) Thank you! I just am addicted to sewing, so when I have free time, that is all I do!

      Delete
  4. Oh no! I've done that with an invisible zip ...once! As I'm sure you'll agree, once is enough then you'll never ever do it again:)
    But you fixed it up perfectly, it's a cute summer dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I'm loving my stripes. My husband told me that I could put the zipper on the side next time so I won't have the difficulty of matching the stripes so much; what a great idea!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!