Sunday, April 13, 2014

Zip Up Jacket

Ottobre Spring 1/2014
#35 Zip Up
Size 146

Fabrics:  Sweatshirt Fleece & Stretch Lace Hearts
Fabric.com


I had to do one more jacket before I was completely finished with cool weather clothing.  A couple of months ago, one of my daughters saw a zip up jacket when we were out shopping.  It was really pretty with a lace overlay on the front but in gray.  She said, "Momma, can you make me something like this?"  I have to laugh because now my children know me pretty well.  I won't always buy clothing for them unless it is something they really need.  However, they know that since I love to sew, I will pretty much make anything for them if I can.  Do you do that?  Are you more willing to buy fabric to make something than buy it?  It took me a couple of months, but here it is finally and she loves it!



The instructions didn't call for invisible zippers for the pockets, but that is the only thing that made sense to me, so I went with that. 


We had a little fun with the black solid areas and made heart stencils and did a little painting.


I did line the inside of the hood with a black single knit jersey.


You can see the zipper pull at the bottom here.



I did interface the fabric edge before sewing the zipper--that makes things so much easier.  Sewing is such a trial and error kind of thing.  That is why I love it so much.  I never get bored with it because there is always something else to learn and I have been sewing for years!


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I'm trying to be a little braver and experiment with different things. It's really fun (and rewarding) to try and duplicate what you find in the stores. I'm really happy with this pattern. It turned out even better than I had hoped for.

      Delete
  2. Awesome hoodie! I'd love to have it for myself ;-) The lace overlay is a great idea. I'm so excited to see your stenciling too! It adds just the right touch.
    I, too, find myself thinking about how to make something rather than buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Your tutorial on how to do this is awesome--thank you so much! Now me and my kids are trying to think of what else we can make and paint!

      Delete
  3. AWESOME! It turned out fantastic! And I live that you guys stenciled the hearts on. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! I'm trying to be a little more creative with paints. I wish I knew how to do silk screen.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!