Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Bohemian Blouse

Ottobre 5/2013 #3
Leo Bohemian Blouse
Size 36
Fabric:  Cotton


I am on a mission to make myself several blouses for this summer.  I am feeling a little anti-knit these days.  I enjoy sewing knits because they are quick and easy; however, I am trying to expand my wardrobe a little to incorporate many fabric types!  This particular fabric was given to me by my dear friend Vickie, so I do not know exactly what it is made up of other than a gorgeous, light-weight cotton.


I did not make any alterations to this top.  This was the first time I have made a placket on the front of a shirt like this.  Getting the piping to cooperate around it was somewhat challenging for me.  With the pattern piece, it actually has a shape that comes to 3 points at the bottom edge.  After I was done sewing the piping on, no points remained but a nice curve--oh well.  It doesn't matter to me because I love the results anyway!  I had some bias tape maxi piping on hand that I used (is this okay to use for apparel sewing?).  It was the perfect color match.  I tried to make my own piping, but I didn't have anything that looked as good.  


I used my narrow hem foot for the bottom hem.  I have had my machine for several years now and have not been using it!  It was so easy and the hem is narrow and evenly stitched.  I Googled a video tutorial on how to use it--simple!


The bottom of the sleeves have a placket and then are gathered before sewing the sleeve cuffs on.  I like having a cuff with a button--cute!


What a fabulous pattern!  I will definitely be making this one up again.

On a personal note....

I will have to take a short break from sewing starting next week.  I have my reconstruction surgery starting.  February 2013 I had a mastectomy of my left breast, and now I will be having my right breast removed.  I will also be having expanders put in to prepare for implants a few months down the road.  I don't know how or what the recovery process will be like.  I have been told by my surgeon that I will be in the hospital at least 4 days.  Hopefully once I am home, recovery will be quick and I can get back to sewing before any serious withdrawals set in!   

I am looking forward to being able to sew fitted tops and dresses again when all is finished (about in 6 month's time) AND being able to wear a bra without a prosthetic boob!







Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


14 comments:

  1. The shirt is gorgeous! That fabric sure is eye catching. I like the rounded front placket. I'm super impressed you used your narrow hem foot so successfully (I've been struggling with mine).
    Good luck with your surgery; recovery is always tough but it will be worth it when you get to the other side :D I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I forgot to add, where did you take your pictures at? The grounds are so beautiful!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kristin! I used my narrow hem foot last week for the first time when I hemmed a prom dress for a friend--it was 30 feet around! I caught on how to use it really well with all that--LOL. We are stationed in Germany, so it is very green now with spring....lots and lots of rain, so it's been harder to take pics outside lately. I try to take them if we go off to different places cause the scenery is so beautiful here. We extended a year so I can finish my reconstruction surgery, otherwise we would have been coming back to the US this August. It has been a struggle being treated on the economy because I know very little German and also no family to help us out. It was rough but we're on the upside of it all now!

      Delete
    3. 30 feet?? oh my!
      I hear Wisconsin is very similar to Germany - we have lots of rain and green now too. We don't have anything old, or historic though. I'd love to go there sometime. (won't happen in this life as I'm terrified of flying, and boats hahaha). I'm glad you were able to extend to finish your surgery but it would be hard w/o family and communicating :)

      Delete
  2. Pretty print! Perfect for that style top. Good luck with your surgery. I will be thinking of you :) hope all goes well and you have a very quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking top! Great job!!
    I hope to get to that one too - so much to sew, so little time........
    I pray your surgery and hospital stay goes well!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be updating my blog to let everyone know how the surgery goes!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful shirt!!! I love everything about it! And it is actually perfect for the crazy weather we have! I wish you the best of luck on the surgery! I'll be thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I told John how it's a perfect shirt for here, especially with all this cool air and rain. Even when it gets warmer, it is such a lightweight shirt that it would be good for the evenings. Please add me to your prayer list for next week!

      Delete
  5. Shirley, I think the rounded placket and piping looks great. A very, very pretty blouse and I imagine very comfortable, too. All the best with your surgery and hopefully a quick recovery. I'll be thinking of you. Hugs - xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! It is very comfortable--light and airy--perfect for summer if summer ever gets here. I thought summer came early but now it is cool with rain, rain, and more rain!

      Delete
  6. You made a beautiful blouse! I used to make mine clothes too as I am petite 154cm tall. Good luck with your surgery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you also for thinking of me with my surgery!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!