Monday, May 5, 2014

Girl's Sleeveless Top with Lace Yoke

McCall's 6951
Pattern Sizes 7-8-10-12-14
Made in a size 8
Fabric:  Cotton Lawn Circles from Fabric.com

Alterations:  Sectioned back pattern piece to make a lace back yoke


My daughter and I have seen this same style shirt in the stores recently.  I am thrilled that McCall's has this pattern so I can duplicate the look!  I took the back pattern piece and sectioned it into 2 pieces in order to make a lace back yoke.  When I took the pattern out of the envelope, I used the factory fold crease to make my division of the pattern--that worked!  I traced the two pieces separately, adding a 5/8" seam allowance.


This pattern is great!  I love how the front pieces have a self facing where you fold the fabric over twice.  Instead of sewing along the edge with an invisible stitch after the first fold, I used stitch witchery, which is a fusible bonding web for hems and trims.  This was much quicker than stitching.  Also, this self facing gets top stitched later, so no need in stitching by hand initially, in my opinion.  Also, this did not interfere with the thickness when I stitched my buttonholes.


Isn't it lovely with the lace?  The arms are hemmed with bias tape.  I also used twill tape to reinforce the seams where the lace is joined, sewing right on the edge.  I then trimmed the seam allowance to the width of the tape, then top stitching the remaining edge of the twill tape down.


I made a grey camisole top for her to wear underneath.  I love seeing the little straps (made of FOE) peeking through the lace.


A while ago I purchased a package of white camisole tops for my girls and used that as a pattern to make my own.  I used a crinkle knit for this.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. Very nicely done! That's a really nice feature and would work for grown up tops too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I know, I want one now! I am thinking I need to add some lace to my fabric stash now. :)

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty blouse, Shirley... love the lace and also the tie at the front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! My daughter has been after me to do more lace in my sewing. I think I need to do some lace shopping now because I'm liking the look for myself!

      Delete
  3. The lace yoke is awesome! She looks so sophisticated :D I love this top Shirley, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, I'll tell my daughter you said she looks sophisticated! She'll love that. :) She is so into fashion. LOL

      Delete
  4. I've just finished making the same shirt for my daughter. Love your use of the lace. It is so beautiful. I think you have solved the mystery about the contrasting fabric for me. I ended up making it all out of the same fabric. Like you, I love making clothes for my children. As they get older, it becomes more of a collaboration. You have a lovely blog. Thanks for sharing. (You can find my version of the shirt over at www.timetocraft.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl! This pattern is definitely a favorite of ours. I have also made it where we can have split hems at the side. There is a lot you can do with this basic pattern! Sewing definitely becomes more interesting and challenging as our girls get older. Now they look at patterns and fabrics on their own asking me if I can make them certain ways. They also find clothing in stores and ask me if I have patterns to make them! They have learned that I am more apt to make them something than to buy it. lol

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!