Thursday, May 29, 2014

Home from the hospital...

I am home now!   I was discharged from the hospital yesterday, 6 days after surgery.  I honestly had no idea of how painful this was going to be and recovery seems slow going, but I have to remind myself it has only been a week.  I had a mastectomy of my right breast (left mastectomy last year) and expanders were put in and filled before leaving the hospital.  Actually, I will need to return to the hospital in one-month's time to finish filling the left expander, which is about 40cc shy of being completely filled.  It would no longer stretch to receive the last injection amount.

I really didn't have any concept of how much 450 cc was (what my expanders will hold) until being inside my chest!  I feel like they are mini boulders--LOL  As I understand it, the expanders will stretch the area to receive the implants later.  The area gets stretched a little bigger than the size of the implant in order to give a natural look once everything is all finished.  I am not one for being able to repeat all the technical terms, so that is basically how I understand things to be.

I feel like my breathing is restricted for the moment and my back aches from slouching.  It is like suddenly having a chest over night and my body has to readjust posture!

My husband is amazing!  He has been Super Mr. Mom during this past week and continues to hold the fort down, get the kids off to school, work, and then come home to making dinner and caring for me. He is AMAZING.  It feels good to be home.  I was hoping I could jump right into some easy sewing, but I see now that will take a little more time until I can do that.

I am wishing I had made me some more button-up shirts prior to surgery.  I don't have many and right now, it is the easiest thing to wear.  So, I'm raiding my husband's closet.  Oh, I do have to wear this band around my chest to hold the expanders "down" so they won't rise up.  I have to wear this another week and a half.  The way I can best relate to how my chest feels is....you are wearing your most uncomfortable underwire bra ever and it is 2 sizes too small and you have just stuffed yourself with the biggest meal ever.  I don't know about you, but after a full meal, it always made the bra uncomfortable! ha ha    Okay, time for the heating pad.......

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

10 comments:

  1. Oh Shirley, I'm glad you are doing ok. Recovery is never fun but it will happen sooner than you think.
    it sounds very uncomfortable but at least you have a great family to support you :D Take care of yourself and get lots of rest! you are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I wish I felt well enough to sew. This is a rough recovery and I'll be so glad when I am passed the worst of it.

      Delete
  2. I hope you start feeling better soon! Take care. Will be thinking about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liza Jane! Every day I seem to be making small progress. I have to try hard to not feel discouraged. I try to occupy my thoughts with looking at sewing blogs!

      Delete
  3. I hope the pain lessens soon and that you begin to recover quickly, Shirley. Sounds like your hubby is a keeper!!! You'll be sewing before you know it. Take care. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! Oh, I couldn't do this without my husband; he is an amazing man. He helps me physically and emotionally when I let it all get to me.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing, Shirley. I'm been out of blog-land for a bit, but I remembered your surgery was coming up in May. I hope you're feeling much better since writing this post. Will be praying for you to have a quick recovery (and lots of good help!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prayers Joy. I am doing better, but night seems to be the worst for some reason. I get all stiff and sore. Still having to sleep in the recliner, but I'm thankful I am sleeping well.

      Delete
  5. Wishing you the best, Shirley. Thinks will improve slowly but surely. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzie! I appreciate you checking in with me, wishing me the best! I'm slowly getting back to sewing. It helps me mentally. Sewing has always been very healing to me over the years.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!