Thursday, June 5, 2014

American Ships Quilt Progress & Other Sewing

 While recuperating from surgery, I have been able to make use of my idle time by working on my son's Ruby McKim American Ships quilt.  I bought an embroidery book with an explanation of stitch types, as well as many embroidery design downloads for future projects.  Having this book really helped me to perfect my stitch, so it was well worth the money just for that.  I am able to stitch away a little faster...or it could be that I have nothing else I can really do at the moment!




So far, these are all the ships I have completed.  Small in comparison to what I have left to do.  To put things in perspective, the top row of the quilt is made up of 8 squares (6 ships and a compass at each end).  There are 9 rows that make up this quilt.  The more I do, the more ambition I have towards completing it.  I purchased this quilt pattern from StoryTime Quilting.



I had a wonderful surprise in the mail last week!  My aunt Nancy has mad skills at finding treasures at yard sales.  She sent me all these beautiful trims!  I don't know how she does it, but she finds the most amazing things.  Most, if not all, look to be vintage--I can't wait to incorporate them into my sewing!  I just love looking at them!



Below is a slip that I have been working on in the Gertie Sew-Along with Butterick 6031 pattern.    Who knew that a slip could be so easy to make? 




And here is another sleeveless button-up, lace yoke shirt (McCall's 6951) that I am making for my other daughter.  I have this fabric in pink, brown and green--thank you to my friend Vickie for sending me this lovely fabric!  Oh yes, we girls are all getting matching tops!


 

As much as I sew, and I sew a lot, there is always so much more that I want to make.  I have to control myself when it comes to buying more patterns.  I really need to sew up what I have bought!  Maybe I need to make out a written sewing to-do-list to keep me on track.  I get so easily distracted when I see what all of you are doing on your blogs.  I find myself in hunt of a new pattern and new fabric.  It never gets old and I love it!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. You sure have a lot of things going on! The ships are so beautiful. Even though the project is taking longer than you want, it will be soooo worth it in the end.
    Love the shirt, and the slip. The vintage trims are amazing. :)
    You certainly keep me on my toes with inspiration!! I hope you are feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Your blog inspires me so much as well and causes me to get off track! LOL I'm making slow progress with healing. I'm not one for taking it easy, so that is a big challenge for me not to do too much resulting in more pain.

      Delete
  2. The ships are looking amazing!! And the shirt is fun too! I hope you are feeling a little better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! As soon as I'm up to in, I'll be coming in to spend my gift certificates at the store! At least it is warming up and we can start wearing the summer clothes we have been working on!

      Delete
  3. The ships quilt is going to be amazing when it's finished, Shirley. So pleased that you are able to do the embroidery at the moment. Yay for Aunty Nancy!!! She did do well. Take care and don't do too much. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! It is hard for me to "take it easy" while recovering. It is just not in my nature to sit still for very long. That is why I am trying to take advantage of the time and work on this quilt because I always put sewing before it. LOL

      Delete
  4. Ok, you really are busy since your last post, ha! I guess keeping your hands busy is good to help time pass - and productively, too.

    I LOVE the ship embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait till I'm finished with it. I just am having a really hard time staying motivated. Once I sit down and start doing it, I have a hard time stopping though.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!