Monday, June 9, 2014

McCall's 6951 & Simplicity 2909

McCall's 6951 for Shirt (previously reviewed here.)
Simplicity 2909 for Shorts


I finally finished this outfit for my daughter!  I started this 3 weeks ago and finished yesterday.  I had a remnant of some stretch denim that I thought I could get a pair of shorts out of for her.  She NEVER wears denim, so I went out on a limb and tried a pair of shorts.  The pattern is super simple--no pockets to work with and just an elastic waist.  I even simplified the hem omitting the pattern piece for the bottom tab.  It would have been a cute addition, however, not knowing if she would like these or not, I wanted to make them as quick as possible in case they never made it out of her dresser drawer.  I'm happy to say that she likes them.  It is hard to make the transition from jersey to denim.  



The shirt fabric is a medium weight cotton that has a slight stretch to it.  Only using the lace for the back yoke, it goes a long way!  I still have plenty of scrap lace from a sewing project a couple of years ago.  I do need to buy more lace in a variety of colors.  Cream would have been ideal, but to tie in the white lace, I used white buttons.




I used a twin needle and top stitched the shorts to give them a little more detail.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley



6 comments:

  1. Adorable outfit! My son also lives for knit, so it's hard to get him to wear denim sometimes. This is a really cute outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! She told me how this outfit "really suits her!" I feel successful today. LOL I am working on drafting a tank top for my son. I have a couple of boyish-type knits for him. It is really hard to find fabrics for boys at this age!

      Delete
  2. This is a great outfit, Shirley!!! The tie blouse works so well with the denim and even though it's not next to the denim, I think the denim and lace work well, too. Glad your daughter likes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I always tell my girls that everything goes with denim!

      Delete
  3. Cute shorts Shirley! I love the top too, and the white looks great with it. I'm happy to see you sewing again, you must be feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I am feeling a little better. I sewed this morning on a tank top for my son, but about 2 hours is all I can handle before the aches set in, but I'm happy I'm back at it though!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!