Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Another outfit for school and something for ME!

McCall's 6951 Top
Alteration:  Changed the shape of the bottom of the shirt, adding a split hem
Skirt:  Self-drafted with elastic waistband


School is less than a week away and I'm trying to finish up a few things!  I made one of my girls another outfit, using the same shirt made before here.


My daughter asked for a very full skirt; she had seen one on a t.v. program that she liked.  To do this, I cut the fabric 14.5 inches by the WOF (twice--one for front and back).  I cut the waistband 3 inches by WOF.  I gathered each skirt panel separately and then sewed up the side seams.  I folded the waistband (elastic casing) wrong sides together and then sewed right sides together to the skirt.  I cut a piece of elastic and placed it in the casing.  I hemmed the front panel 1 inch and then tapered the hem to 1/4 inch on the backside.



Worn with leggings from Old Navy.



I am making myself a new pair of pants!  I rarely make a muslin, but this time I figured it would be best to invest the added time.  This is the Named Jaime Jean pattern.  I cut a size 34, which is what I wear in RTW clothing.  The only adjustment I made was to take about half inch out of the CB seam.  Since the waistband is curved, I didn't make any alteration there.  I didn't make the back pockets or do much of the top stitching since it is just a trial run for me.  I left off the button too since I don't have one to spare.  In making my muslin, I used a cheap zipper too.  I really don't like having to remove them once they are in, so I didn't want to use an expensive zipper I would normally use in making jeans.  I have read on other blogs where some add width to the lower leg area, but the fit was fine for me there.  I'm excited about these pants!  I should receive my denim in the mail later this week.  


I love the cute little front pockets!  Another thing I like is the seam down the front of the pant leg.  

The pattern is a PDF and comes together quickly.  You do need to trace it because a couple of the pieces are overlapping.  It is very well drafted--I can see making several pairs of these jeans!


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

11 comments:

  1. Excellent back to school sewing, I need to get on that. You're going to love the Jamies. It's the best pattern they seem to flatter everyone. I did alter the calf but it was more of a finessing the pattern than a necessity and I blame my legs in the first place. Can't wait to see your next version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to sew these pants up to wear. The pattern is very flattering, and with them being of stretch fabric, very comfortable. I think they are even more comfortable to wear than my Jalie jeans! They are still one of my favorites though.

      Delete
  2. Great job with the pants, Shirley.The fit is perfect and very flattering. I'm with you re the seam down the front. Love the pockets, too. Gorgeous fabric for your daughter's blouse. Love her whole outfit and it should be very comfortable to wear to school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I started to hunt through my patterns for a skirt and then thought, what am I doing? Sometimes just something simple works well. It was a nice break from sewing something more complicated. I have decided that not everything needs to be grand when I sew. I just need to make sure we have some basics!

      Delete
  3. Well done for finding the patience to make a toile of those jeans! They are going to be wonderful. Such a super cute outfit for your daughter too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zoe! I just got my fabric in the mail today, so now I can make a pair that I can actually wear!

      Delete
  4. Ah! Don’t remind me that school is coming so fast  I will sure miss my little buggers when they start those days again. Sigh.
    Your top here is cute! Kiela was snooping over my shoulder and told me I need to make more things like that for her lol. I love how it is a classic blouse/tank but has the cute pop of fun and color. The skirt looks fun too! I need to learn how to do a split hem – I like them and can’t believe I’ve never made one!
    Good luck on your pants – I’ll be looking forward to seeing how those work out for you. The muslin looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...I am already starting to get a little sad. I miss my kids terribly when they leave for school. The first week is the worst and then I just dive into sewing more to pass the time. Don't you just love it when the kids are over the shoulder while we are surfing blogs! Mine do that and do the same...can you make that for me next?! LOL Split hems are easy. Just don't sew all the way down the side and make a narrow hem at the point where you stop and then around the rest of the hem. Atleast that is what I do. :)

      Delete
  5. What cute pants with great seaming. They look like an excellent fit. Good for you for muslining (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! It is almost painful to make a muslin I think. It is hard to invest the time knowing I won't be wearing it. LOL

      Delete
    2. hahaha. I feel the same way Shirley :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!