Monday, August 25, 2014

My First Outfit for Fall

Ottobre 5/2014

New Boheme Jersey Tunic (#5) Size 38

Sammalikko Printed Leggings (#6) Size 34


 Leggings made with Hatchi Sweater Knit from Fabric.com
Top made with Stretch Rayon Jersey Knit dark brown from Fabric.com


I love this outfit!  First off, the top was challenging to trace...definitely not one you want to start out with if you are new to tracing Ottobre patterns.  A few times I found myself on a line that was part of a different pattern piece for this blouse.  I also had to tape my tracing paper together because the pieces are very large.  The pleats add a nice touch to the blouse design, as well as the pockets.  I had to cut 3 inches off the length of the blouse so it wouldn't be too long for me.  I'm 5'1" so dresses and tops tend to be a little long.  Level of difficulty for sewing is fairly easy.


I should have made the top in a size 36, but I think it still looks fine.  I'm not wanting to retrace the pattern any time soon!



The legging pattern is fabulous!  They fit perfectly and are so comfortable.  I thought I might have a problem matching up the print on the side seams, but hatchi knit is pretty easy to work with. The stretch recovery feels pretty good, so I am hopeful that they won't stretch out on me too much while wearing.  It doesn't feel like it will.  The pattern calls for viscose single jersey with a stretch/recovery of 30%.


I made the top waistband out of some brown cotton spandex I had.  I wanted that part of the legging to be from a stable fabric since it is used for an elastic casing.


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! YES! You are right, it is fun. That is exactly how I feel wearing it. I'm already planning another one. LOL

      Delete
  2. Omigosh this is such an awesome outfit! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I am really excited about this issue of Ottobre. There are actually a couple other things in it that I want to make; I just need to order some more fabric.

      Delete
  3. What a perfect fall outfit! Those leggings are amazing! The top looks great on you too, very comfy. You sure were fast sewing up this set!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! It does sew up really fast. It is one of those instant gratification-type sewing projects minus the tracing of course. LOL

      Delete
  4. I love it, Shirley! I want the exact same outfit for fall. I love the legging fabric. Looks great with your boots, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liza Jane! I'm so glad you think the boots look great with it. It was a little debate with me and my kids. They weren't sure if they looked okay with the leggings. Yes, I seek out the fashion since of 11 year olds and a 13 year old. LOL

      Delete
  5. Love it, I was trying to make my mind up on that tunic. I made the girl's version for my daughter and she didn't take to it, I obviously should have just waited for the chance to make it for me. Love the fabrics. I know it would be quick to sew, but a lot more tracing than a size 122--daunting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now I have to hunt through my Ottobres for the girls version of that top! My girls really like it, and after tracing mine, I would welcome a smaller version. LOL

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for letting me know! I don't know how I missed it.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a super comfy outfit, Shirley. Isn't it good when you find or make an outfit that is fun and comfortable to wear. I love the top especially. You'll be able to wear it with skinny jeans or pants as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Pam, the top will be great for skinny jeans or pants. I recently bought a jegging pattern from Burda that I want to try with this style blouse in mind. I didn't even know what jeggings were until my girls got a pair for their birthday and they look so comfortable!

      Delete
  7. That's a really cool outfit! The leggings are fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Last weekend while shopping at the mall, my kids pointed out a large poster of a girl wearing leggings that looked almost identical to these! That was quite exciting to see. I took note of the whole ensemble so I know how they can be worn with other things.

      Delete
  8. So very cute, I love your fabric choice for the leggings! I just cut out the leggings pattern this evening (boring black) and I have the Dutch version of the magazine. Since I don't read Dutch, can you tell me how the elastic is applied, and also the width of the elastic? From the diagram it looks like a wide yoga pant-type band with a casing at the top for the elastic. THANKS! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just wore it again the other night and it is so comfortable to wear! I'm happy to help with the instructions! The leg inseams are sewn and then the crotch seam. Then you stitch front yoke to pants front and back yoke to pants back, then your side seams. Cut your elastic to fit your waist and sew it into a circle. Align your elastic to the top of the yoke on the inside of the pant (wrong side). Stitch the elastic, to the top of the yoke (I use a zig zag stitch). Then fold over the casing to the inside of the pant and stitch the bottom edge on the right side of the fabric. (I use a zig zag stitch here also). Let me know if you need anything else!

      Delete
    2. Oh thanks so much! I thought the yoke was doubled so I'm glad I asked. I guess I would have figured it out when I started sewing.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!